Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Last Time


My husband's mom, whom my children called Nana, died tonight. If only we knew the last time we would see someone was the last time. If only we knew we wouldn't have another chance to hug that person, laugh with them, pamper them, let them know how much they are loved. Maybe we would do it better if we knew it was the last time. My mother-in-law had been in the hospital for going on three weeks, but the doctor kept assuring us her condition wasn't life threatening. And yet, she kept declining. Today at about 5 pm she slipped into a coma. An hour later, she left us for good. There are no words. So here is a picture of her with my kids when they were younger. She was so beloved.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry for your loss.

    Life is sweet, but oh so short.

    Also, thank you for calling me out. I will keep your family in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no. I'm so sorry.

    Honestly, the last few dozen times I saw my Dad I did actually think it may be the last time. Once someone gets to be that age (90's) it's hard, for me at least, not to think it. And truly, I would try to be extra loving and give lots of hugs, but I would have to push those thoughts away quickly or I'd get too sad. Which is the opposite of enjoying someone while you have them.

    I am so sorry for your loss. In her memory, and my Dad's, I'm going to make a point today to tell everyone how much I care about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lilaphase, ellen, thanks for the kind words. So appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were so shocked to hear that she had died. Like the rest of the family, we thought the hospital stay was temporary. I only met her a couple of times but know that she was a straight arrow who stood for no nonsense. She will be missed by many. My heart goes out to you, husband and kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Deborah. We're just back from Antigua and it was so great to see Aunt Shirley and Uncle Bertie and everyone. It was a hard time, but also very special. Mom had a lovely send off.

    ReplyDelete