Monday, July 26, 2010

Clear Blue

My brother had surgery last week. He flew from Jamaica to Texas where he underwent a state-of-the-art operation at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He was able to return to Jamaica yesterday and will be recuperating at home for the next four weeks. In six weeks, he will return to Houston for follow up.

Despite some pain and discomfort, his spirits are good. His voice, which had a slight waver in it the day after his surgery, is once again deep and strong. Most of all, he does not want people treating him as if he is ill. He is a doctor, and points out with professional calm that his cancer was found very early, during a routine physical exam, and he will be just fine. The last thing he wants is people worrying over him and putting him in the position of reassuring them ad nauseum.

Still. It did bring home to me that I don't see my brother nearly enough in these adult lives we have crafted on separate land masses with oceans between. I have promised my brother to remedy that.

2 comments:

  1. I wish him a tranquil recovery, with time to rest.
    I understand exactly how he feels; as a survivor of early stage breast cancer it seems so strange, 3 yrs later, when people talk about my illness. I never felt sick. Nonetheless, events such as a cancer diagnosis mark time and so I try harder to keep up with loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishes for quick healing,
    and I know, my brother is on the other side of the country and we don't see each other nearly enough. He and I are so close and it is something that I just hate.

    ReplyDelete