Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Scaffolds

 


The little sister was hyperactively excited to have her big brother home. He leaves again to go back to college tomorrow morning, but will be back next week to attend her graduation from high school. His girlfriend, who grew up in Shakespeare's town, will also be here. She is excited to go to her first ever American graduation. My son tried to tell her not to get her expectations too hyped, but she's determined to be thrilled, because they had no such ceremonies when she graduated high school in England, and her whole life she's watched this rite of passage in American teen movies, with caps and gowns and diplomas and music crescendoing and decrescendoing to underline the sweet denouement of all high school dramas. When I think about it that way, I get her excitement. I'm pretty excited, too.

6 comments:

  1. They hold up the world, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think their love is so wonderful. My brother and I have never been close and I am always in awe of siblings that get along so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angella... long time no 'see'... have been offline for a long time. Wow your girl's graduating already? Congrats to her! You and Papa must be so proud of both kids. I hope the ceremony lives up to the girlfriend's expectations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose these graduation ceremonies were originally meant to imitate some romantic view of life in England. But we don't make a fuss about such things. At my own graduation (1st Class Hons; Fine Art) my father simply said 'Jolly good', and that was it! When my oldest boy graduated from Oxford, it was a little more dramatic, but still very low-key (even with famous faces everywhere).

    ReplyDelete