Tuesday, October 30, 2012

After Sandy


In my small corner of the city, all that is left of the super storm is a fine rain and trees stripped of their small branches, the place where they ripped away a fresh wound on the waterlogged bark. Where I live, all things considered, we fared well. Just some scaffolding torn and scattered across pathways, and bright yellow crime scene tape wrapped around poles and trees to tell us where not to walk. A railing came loose from the roof, and is dangling from its one secured end down several floors. It crashed into someone's window last night and broke the glass. I can imagine the deluge of wind and rain that rushed in. But the tenants are safe, taken into the home of neighbors and the maintenance crew is already at work, clearing up the debris, repairing the gash. Elsewhere, the flood waters are receding. Still, those without power will likely be dark for days. The subways will take almost a week before coming back fully on line. Buses resume service at 5 pm tonight and rides will be free for a while. The cleanup has begun. Bless you, dear friends, for all the prayers and good thoughts you sailed our way. Their aggregate has real power. I do believe that. Thank you.





10 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that you are safe and mostly dry. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Oh yes. Me too. I am having such a hard time wrapping my head around a hurricane in NYC pouring water into the subways.
    Love to you. Continue to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you didn't lose power. Thanks for posting the update last night and this one, I've been worrying about you. I hope your husband is feeling better, and I hope things are back to normal for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really appreciated these updates. You've helped many of us to know what's REALLY going on. Thank you and I"m glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your clear updates and poignant photos. If there's a bright side to it all, I look forward to seeing what unfolds on your blog --

    ReplyDelete
  6. It has been so strange to read about this storm from here in England. Part of me viscerally wants to be there, in New York, the city I love and lived in for so many years. Part of me is glad I'm NOT there. In any case, it's all been so surreal. I never thought I would see such storm damage in Manhattan, even though we've always been warned about how close to sea level most of the island is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad your ok Praise God! I was praying & it's been on the news here.
    So much damage.
    Love Gab xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...