Sunday, January 27, 2013

Firstborn



I recently happened across that image on my son at age 10, caught in the act of becoming. His eyes are so soft here, his contours so smooth, my tender boy. And that is the same beloved face, ten years later, more chiseled, harder, a man's face, still with the same power over my heart. I am so fascinated by the way faces evolve over the course of a lifetime, most intensely so with the faces I have known from the moment they first squinted against the light. Bear with me. I am a fond mother who simply misses her babies.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Angella. My chickadees are still in the nest but my heart aches with the thought that they will one day go from me. It hurts to be a mom.

    xoxo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still has the face of an angel though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in love with this post. Especially as a mother of sons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very wonderful face. Both versions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand this. My first feeling was a pang of guilt or sadness because Lola is ten and right now is SO, so difficult. Today was especially hard. It's temporary, she has her bad times nd good like any kid, but man. She never did before ten. Ten was when it began. Oh babies. Growing up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really amazing. As an "outsider," I saw, first, the softness and thought for a moment it was your daughter. I agree with gradydoctor, though, and I love this post, especially as the mother of sons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, you are making me cry first thing in the morning. As always, beautifully written and deeply felt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We get to love what we love, out loud, in all possible ways. We can all become lost in these photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, god; you just want to hug that boy...that youth.

    i was looking through old photos yesterday, and came across a series i'd done of my son getting dressed for his senior prom. socks, boxers, the whole deal... it was almost more than i could bear...the knowledge--no matter how much we love them now--of how deeply, inexorably we are attached to the 'then.'

    ReplyDelete