Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Mommy and Me


I call her that. Mommy. And guess what? My kids call me Mommy too. And they call their father Daddy. They don't think about it. It's the way is it in our family, the whole extended clan. Maybe it's cultural, as in how it is in Jamaica and in Antigua, where we originate. Only when their friends wrinkle their noses and tease them about the word "Mommy" or the word "Daddy" issuing from their lips do my children even notice it. I'm intrigued, though, that they simply laugh along and shrug with not a hint of embarrassment. I like that. So yeah. That's my Mommy and me in Jamaica, one short month ago. And yeah. I'm a big girl and my mommy is a slip of a girl. She's always been petite. Me? I take after her mom, and I always knew that she secretly loved my fat because it reminded her of Mama, which is what she called her mom. So maybe calling her Mommy is not cultural after all. Maybe it's generational. Maybe it's just us.


14 comments:

  1. My kids still call me Mommy sometimes. I love it.
    What a beautiful picture of such beautiful women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I call my mother mommy/mami also...I think it is cultural. and sweet,like this shot of the two of you.
    xxoo
    yo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. We all refer to my mother as "Mommy" but all call her different things. I call her Tounces. Deanna called her Ma. Everyone else calls her "Shugsie" or "Shug." Our grandmother was Mudear.

    Zachary still calls me Mama . . . especially when he's tired. . .which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are perfect. Both of you.

    My little one calls me mama when she's sweet and mo-ooom when she's sour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photo. My kids call me Mom, except when they're trying to be funny and then it's a very British-sounding Mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your mommy are two stunningly beautiful women.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your mother are beautiful. She seems fun and serene, and you are gorgeous! No wonder your husband is so hot after you! I can only hope... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so pretty, as is your mommy. I called my parents mommy and daddy, I'm sure interspersing it with mom/dad/their first names until they passed. It might be that some of us with non-American backgrounds were raised that way. Sweet Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with everyone else. Both of you are absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed! Beautiful, beautiful. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. We're called Mommy and Daddy in this family too. I'll have to listen to see what the grandkids are calling their parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kids are 15 & 17 and call me Mama. For about a day a while back my daughter tried calling me Mom and because I love being called Mama I did not answer her. It makes my heart overflow when they call me Mama.

    You are a gorgeous woman, Angella.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hearing what everyone calls their mothers and fathers. I suppose it's familial in the end, what we call our parents. And thanks for the kindness about me. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm 29, and my parents are and will always be Mummy and Daddy :)

    ReplyDelete