Friday, July 19, 2013

Peace & Grands


I love unearthing these photos that I haven't seen for some time. This one is of my Aunt Winnie and Uncle Charlie with my children, ages 9 and 7, and their grandson at age 4. I love the way my son's arm is around his Uncle Charlie, who used to babysit for my children sometimes when they were small. He died five years ago. My kids used to love when he watched over them. A gentle sort who never tried too hard to win them over, they nevertheless knew he adored them. Around when this photo was taken, my uncle used to walk my son to the bus stop each morning to make sure he got on the right bus to school. My boy had only recently begun traveling alone on public transportation. My aunt and uncle look so robust in this picture. They were, I believe, 83 and 85. Aunt Winnie is thin as a wraith now. But that expression on her face, looking down at her peace-sign flashing grandbaby, was the same one that flickered there when her grandson, now 16, visited her when he was in town from Virginia two weeks ago. These people are my heart.


10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful picture. The kids are just precious in this shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your son's soulful eyes -- always. And I love the expression on your aunt's face, both dubious and fully loving as she glances down at her grandson. and I really love these snippets of your life, Angella --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elizabeth. Dubious and fully loving. Yes. Always.

      Delete
  3. A wonderful photograph and I love seeing your Aunt Winnie when she was plump and in charge of herself still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, i love seeing her this way, too. You could always laugh with her. And if anyone was in charge, she was. Of all of us. She was the big sister of nine, the family matriarch, utterly irreverent. We're so grateful to be hers.

      Delete
  4. Oh, look at Aunt Winnie. That photo is surely a treasure.

    ReplyDelete