Friday, July 19, 2013

Respect


"Trayvon could have been me 35 years ago." 

—President Barack Obama


The photo was taken when Obama was at Harvard Law, just a few years older than the teenager whose death has left us heartbroken. Obama had just been elected the first Black president of the Harvard Law Review, which still would not have protected him from being profiled and followed in a department store. He spoke the truth today. He stood up at the White House press briefing and tried to explain to a divided nation just why Trayvon Martin's death and his killer going free had shattered so many. He knew of course that the vilification from the right would be swift and nasty; indeed it has already begun. He spoke up anyway, for Black families and for White families too. I could hear the hurt in his voice. I felt proud that he spoke up for my son, for all our children. Thank you, Mr. President. I'm glad you weighed in.



6 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly!

    I heard "highlights" on NPR and was annoyed, but a friend messaged that I had to listen because he was very brave.

    Indeed, NPR was very off-base with what they heard, and I'm very glad that another friend posted the link.

    Haters gonna hate. He's our President because he is brave and gets it and can articulate that clearly, and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm really glad he spoke out about this. he's the most respected voice we have right now in the country and i'm glad he's on our side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad he spoke. i continue to believe he is a good, decent man in an unholy cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...it's something that really needed to be said. The lack of empathy that "some" Americans have is disappointing and hurtful. My young nephew seems to think that the pressure from the verdict will cause Zimmerman to "volunteer" going to prison for man slaughter to make peace with the world. Not a bad thought coming from a 9 year-old. It does have me scratching my head. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been desperately wanting some more of a definitive word from our president on this issue. I think we got it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad he spoke up. As NOLA said "Haters gonna hate."

    ReplyDelete