Friday, December 5, 2014

In the rain tonight




"I am no longer accepting the things I cannot change. I am changing the things I cannot accept."

—Angela Davis


All over the city tonight, and across the country, people are marching and lying down and closing down traffic in protest of yesterday's grand jury decision not to indict the cop who killed unarmed Staten Island man Eric Garner in a chokehold. At Columbia University tonight, up the street from me, students and others staged a "die-in" at the annual tree lighting ceremony, lying down on College Walk in protest. Further downtown, other protesters lay shoulder to shoulder in Bryant Park, in the rain, holding up signs that echoed Garner's last words, "I can't breathe." In Herald Square traffic was shut down as protesters poured into Macy's and lay themselves down. Traditional TV news has no idea how to cover it. Twitter is probably capturing it best right now, with citizen reporters tweeting updates in real time. A whole lot of people are just plain fed up and they're drafting off each other's energy. Shades of Occupy. Something big is happening here. We're waking up.

Photo: Columbia Spectator


7 comments:

  1. I love that quote. It is deeply refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they continue to have more focus than the Occupy Movement seemed to. Did you take the photo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cried when I watched one of the die-in's on Thursday night on the news. Silence. Stillness.
    Yes. People are waking up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waking up is the best way to get out of a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope it is for longer than five minutes and something good comes of the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And I love Tearful's statement, as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...