Saturday, March 28, 2015

Today she is 21


Twenty-one years ago this incredible spirit child was born and I have been humbled and grateful to be her mother. My darling girl, I am so happy you chose us as your family. I do not take lightly the great privilege and blessing of having you as my child. I wish you everything in this life that your pure heart desires. Mostly I wish you a light heart and a quick laugh in the face of all life's uncertainties. Know, always, you are equal to anything.


So, wonder of wonders, I actually baked her cake though my girl added the Caribbean blue color to the icing. We sang and cut the cake a day early since we wouldn't see her on her actual birthday. She is in Washington D.C. with her brother and cousins, celebrating turning 21. What a glorious looking crew. My lovely niece promised to send me photos throughout the weekend so I can vicariously participate in the celebration!


The outfit my daughter is wearing was picked out for her by her cousin, aka her big sister, who had it waiting for her arrival. She instructed my girl to get a very particular style of shoe to wear with it. We went shopping for the shoes yesterday and my girl settled on a pair of nude-colored sky high heels that I am quite sure set that outfit off dramatically. I so glad she has a big sister like my niece to take social and fashion control at times like this. Happy birthday, my sweet girl. We love you so.




24 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday and many more...How is the clean up coming on your end?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. e, they steam cleaned and deep treated the carpet and padding with enzymes this morning, and it looks brand new in there, and smells infinitely better than the last couple of days. There are two industrial fans going in the room now and I'm waiting for everything to dry fully before going in and setting things back in their places, but the nightmare is almost over! And my daughter will have a nice fresh room.

      Delete
  2. The girl. The mother. The cake. The nightlife. Be still my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, oh to be 21 and in the club in a way you've never been before, but in the familiar circle of your cousins. Sounds perfect, really.

      Delete
  3. I have no doubt that it is a great privilege and blessing of have you as a mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdie, thank you for that vote of confidence. I'm sure it's only sometimes true.

      Delete
  4. I just don't have many words today, my dear sister-friend. But you know I know. You know I understand how you feel about this girl.
    Just...love.
    That's enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breath-taking in every way. Happy, happy, happy --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Elizabeth. Hard to believe 21 is here.

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday to your daughter and birthing day to you. She is like a breath of fresh air. She is so very pretty, as is your son and you (from your picture the other day). I hope she has a blast and that you have a great time together! And I am glad the room is coming along too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Joanne, I will convey the birthday wishes. I am about to go and set things back in order in the room. As the ad says, it's "like it never even happened." Almost. xo

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday to your beautiful girl! Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your shining star.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday to your beautiful daughter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, and to your son! Our children have the same birthday, right?

      Delete