Thursday, June 2, 2016

Savor


The house might be a hot mess since our college grad came home, but we're seeing some definite improvements in cuisine around here. Tuesday night's meal, for example, included things like kale and quinoa, and my meals yesterday lacked nothing in nutrition and taste.

Breakfast: plain yogurt sprinkled with granola and raisins and drizzled with honey.
Lunch: kale, chick pea and avocado salad with honey mustard vinaigrette.
Dinner: poached salmon with dill, mashed sweet potato, quinoa.

And this morning, as I tapped away at my computer keyboard, my darling girl brought me a yummy smoothie bowl she'd made for our breakfast. It's a frozen strawberry smoothie with a little almond butter and plain yogurt mixed in, topped with granola and bright fresh fruit. I must say, eating a smoothie with a spoon from a bowl is an inspired idea. It feels more like a full fledged meal than when you drink it from a glass. It lasts longer so you get to truly savor it.

Apart from this lovely new whole food cuisine, one of the things I love about my kids being home is I get to see their friends more, kids I've known since they were young, and who have a special place in my heart. Yesterday two of my daughter's friends came over and they hung out here for a good while, laughing and talking before finally getting it together and heading off to the beach and the amusement park at Coney Island.

This afternoon our girl went on a bike ride and now she is gone again, meeting up with friends for a backyard barbecue in the city. They've all been away for four years and now, all at once, they are all back in the same town. I remember this phase from when my son first moved back to the city after college. The socializing options are endless it seems. But one day soon they'll all have jobs and the weekday socializing will taper off in favor of sleep before work.

Savor this.


5 comments:

  1. Exactly -- they've got to grab this opportunity and enjoy it while it lasts! And I suppose you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful family you have made. Congratulations to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This time is slipping away so I hope everyone enjoys it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so need to come over there for one of those meals. It sounds divine and having your babies close to your bosom sounds divine-er.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ebb and flow, ebb and flow ... and now I am hungry just reading about your daughter's creations!

    ReplyDelete