Saturday, July 2, 2016

My son, the medic

The FDNY just called and offered my son the job! He starts with the Fire Department in three weeks! First, the new EMT recruits have to take a two month refresher course at the Academy and then he'll be at the end of 911 calls in the rig. He gets fitted for his uniform on July 20. He's wanted this since he was 10 years old and never lost sight of the goal.

He was so happy when he told us. "This was not easy to do," I said. "You had to be very intentional at every step." "You're right about that," he agreed. And then he said, more to himself than to me, "I did it." Almost a whisper. "I did it." Now he's one of New York's Bravest, and I couldn't be happier for my boy.


14 comments:

  1. Oh, Jeez. I think I have post-journey emotional syndrome today and everything is making me cry and this- that- made me cry too.
    Your boy! His dream! He has worked so hard to make it happen.
    Big congratulations from Lloyd to NYC! Not just to him but to all of you who have loved and supported him while he did what it took to get here. Love, love, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That focus and dedication is so inspiring. Congratulations to him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic news and momma can be rightly proud. Just think of all the people he will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have tears in my eyes too. I have been reading your blog for a while now and have read your posts about his journey. Tell his a woman in Canada is very proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son's achievement is wonderful. It shows what hard work and focus can create. Congratulations to him and also to you for giving your young man the guidance and support that enabled him to dream and trust in himself enough to make this happen. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Congrats to him. I admire his perseverance and dedication to public service. (And I admire your skills as a parent!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes…congratulations from England too. I wish him a long and happy career in NYFD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your beautiful brave boy! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! Big congratulations to your son! You have so much to be proud about; that's one of parenting's great joys, isn't it? He is to be admired for his dedication and focus, and his parents are to be admired for letting him fly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations to him! I know you are so proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my God. I am so freaking excited for him and you and all of us! Because we sort of know your boy, you know? Congratulations! I hope my boy follows in his footsteps, out here in Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete