Monday, May 8, 2017

She did it!


Take note of the girl in the middle, her hands gently restraining her 3-year-old cousin, who as I recall, was completely sugared up and racing through the house when someone made them pose for a photo. My kids and their cousin were attending their uncle's wedding in Orlando. None of us had any idea that 20 years hence, my niece (the responsible girl in the middle) would be graduating from dental school in Washington, DC and moving to New York City this summer for her residency.


And there she is, looking bright and hopeful on her very first day of dental school. Was that four years ago already? She always wanted to be a doctor like her daddy, until she got braces and decided that she liked the puzzle of teeth better. We're on our way to D.C. this week to celebrate her success. We've rented a house and plan to have a dinner party with all the relatives, who are flying in from Jamaica and Florida, driving down from New York, or traveling locally from Virginia and Maryland. We have been planning this party since February, and now it's finally here. The fantastic thing is, I am a consultant in this endeavor. My daughter and niece are executing all the details, which means that when a problem arises, I can sit back and watch these capable young women solve it. They are pitch perfect. 


We are all so very proud of you, my heart child. I, for one, remember when.



12 comments:

  1. Well, as so many of your posts do, this one brought tears to my eyes.
    Such beauty and such obvious strength and such perseverance. I know you are all so proud of her. Frankly, I am too, and I have no reason whatsoever to be but I am.
    HUGE congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A dentist in the family? Not that's a plus, hahaha! All that hard work and I had no idea there was a residency for a dentist too. Yes, congrats are in order, and I extend mine!
    Angela, I love the sentence where you say "when a problem arises, I can sit back and watch these capable young women solve it. They are pitch perfect." The sitting back is sometimes hard to do, but a great gift to give them.
    Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to your niece! How exciting. 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your niece and family. I wish you all a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to your lovely niece. Enjoy the celebration with your beautiful family.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like it will be a wonderful get-together! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to your beautiful niece! You have an amazing family🌺

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to your niece! I'll second Joanne's comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your niece!!! Sounds like the party will be so fun with everyone getting together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Congratulations to your niece! And I so admire how you all do these celebrations -- that everyone comes from so far away is just a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I am so happy to have come out of my blogging sabbatical (ha!) to see this! I remember rooting for her go to Meharry but feeling delighted when she chose Howard! Please tell her that she is all of our niece and we are so, so proud of her. HBCU alums STAND UP!!!!

    ReplyDelete