Friday, June 2, 2017

First Responder

The third man in the Portland train stabbings, the one who lived, posted a seriously woke video on his Facebook page yesterday. A student at Portland State University, and a poet, 21-year-old Micah David-Cole Fletcher had this to say: “We in Portland have this weird tendency to continue patterns that we’ve done forever, and one of them is this same old, just to put it bluntly, white savior complex. Suffice to say, I think it’s immensely, immensely morally wrong and irresponsible how much money we have gotten as opposed to how much support, money, love, kindness, that has been given to that little girl.” I am not surprised that a young man who would come to the aid of that girl in the hijab, would take this view. I haven't watched the video but I read about it here.

Meanwhile, No. 45 withdrew from the Paris climate accord, as we all knew he would, probably because he was insulted that French President Emmanuel Macron was unintimidated by him and won their bizarre handshake war, and also because he intends to undo all the progress Obama made. Even his business cronies don't agree with this one, with PayPal founder Elon Musk resigning from his advisory board over the withdrawal. My God, this country is in the hands of an idiot. We have lost all moral standing. Now we know that the vaunted "checks and balances" of the U.S. Constitution are hollow promises when Congress is filled with people too immoral to act.

I don't want to be writing about any of this. I really don't.

I have been fantasizing about running away. Not forever. Just to breathe some different air for a while. At the same time, I am feeling straightjacketed by inertia. Summer is actually my least favorite season. I don't know what to do with all that cheery sunshine. Sit outside, I suppose. I guess I will take my laptop and work outside today. At the picnic table under the trees in the courtyard, or on a bench. It's actually a very beautiful day. The leaves on the tree outside my window are swaying ever so gently in a soft breeze. Get yourself together, woman. Go out and meet this day.



4 comments:

  1. I saw the video and it was powerful. A lot was said in a short timeframe.
    What can I say about Trump which hasn't been said before? And I agree with your words on the checks and balances. Certainly that system is failing now.
    I know what you mean about the good weather- sometimes I am just desperate for rain so that I have a good excuse to snuggle in, stay in, not leave my house. But it IS good to get out. Usually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have pretty much stopped watching the news completely. I heard a few minutes today when it first came on and I was still folding laundry. Then I ran away and am now hiding in my bedroom typing this comment.
    What kind of things are holding you back from going away for a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the link.
    I often want to hide from the news but my family would come shouting and roaring at me, stay informed, stay alert, be awake etc.

    Do go and travel. The world is a wonderful place full of inspiration and surprises. Exploring it is certainly not the same as running away, quite the opposite. It will be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Living in Portland, I've be acutely aware of the "hero" mentality. Good for the hero's but not so much for the "others". God bless him, this young and tender poet. We needed his words. Those two young Muslim women needed his words.

    I wish I could talk you into a trip to India with me....we'd stay at the "Exotic Marigold Hotel". :)) Now that would be something to remember.

    ReplyDelete