Monday, August 21, 2017

Love engine

My heart is in Ft. Pierce today, where my three cousins, my loves, will undertake a heartbreaking and courageous act of daughterly love. Aunt Beulah, your brothers and sisters in the forever are standing by, joyfully awaiting your return, but hopefully not today. Uncle Quinn, our arms and our love are holding you now. Allyson, Cathy, Carla, you have given and are giving from a fountain of magnificent love, abiding faith. Our entire family is with you in spirit today and always. Please kiss Aunt Beulah's forehead for us. Tell her she's been a shining example of love and devotion and laughter her whole life long. Tell her I feel Gloria close by. Tell her, please, how very much she is loved, how eternally blessed we all have been, to be hers.

I wrote that on Facebook this morning, because in Fort Pierce, Florida, at 1 this afternoon, my three cousins and their dad will be taking my Aunt Beulah off the ventilator that has been breathing for her for the past week. They had planned to do it on Friday, but my uncle said, no, he wasn't ready, give him till Monday. He's a doctor and knows that even though the plan is to transfer my aunt to a lovely, light-filled hospice, she may not make it there. Since her stroke two weeks ago, she has weakened progressively and for the past week has been entirely unresponsive. I imagine her spirit has already flown, greeting her brothers and sisters who have gone before.

I cannot imagine what it must be like to have to make the decision to take your beloved of more than sixty years off life support; to wake up and know that today is the day your mother, who has loved you superbly all your life, might die. As her youngest expressed it to me late last night, "Mommy is a love engine." On waking this morning, my throat was full of tears, and I knew the rest of the family, scattered as we are geographically, were all gathering in spirit around Aunt Beulah's bed. On my phone, I wrote how I was feeling and posted it. I wondered if it would be painful to my cousins that I had acknowledged before the fact what we all know is possible, that Aunt Beulah might leave us today. I don't know, but the rest of the family welcomed the post, so I am putting it here too. To mark this day.




That photo was taken on Uncle Quinn's 90th birthday earlier this year. Aunt Beulah is 88, the fifth of the six Stiebel sisters. A love engine, indeed.

Update at 6 PM : Aunt Beulah is at the hospice and is resting comfortably, surrounded by her family in a spacious room with a sunny private terrace. A moment of peace, a respite for them all, thank you God.

10 comments:

  1. Such beautiful words about such an abiding love.
    May there be peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love engine, indeed. Your family amazes me.

    Sending you a hug on this day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear what is going on with your Aunt. It's very sad to see the good people losing their abilities and responsiveness. I wish you and yours love and peace. I send you a big hug.💕

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look at these faces and feel the love, and the love in your words as well. Tonight we will raise our glasses in honor of your beautiful Aunt Beulah, a love engine indeed. May the rest of her days be easy and gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your and your family's impending loss. Hold tight to the good memories, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peace and hugs to you all. Beulah is a beautiful soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad she has this moment of respite and peace and that she knows the love that surrounds her. Sending love.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful family you have, inside and out. Thinking good thoughts for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A love engine, that is a beautiful way to describe her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such beauty...and sadness. Feeling it for you today. XXOO

    ReplyDelete