Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Painting the house

I finally had the house painted yesterday. I cannot tell you how long I have wanted to do that, and finally I got organized enough to get it done. This house has not been painted (except for my kids' bedrooms) since we moved here in 2001. And now I have a painter I can call whenever I need him, who did a nice job, was pleasant throughout, and gave me an estimate somewhat cheaper than all the others I've gotten over the years.

He and two other workers did everything in one day. I just had them paint everything white again, because it was too much decision stress to start choosing colors, and it would have significantly boosted the price as well. And I didn't include my bedroom, because I needed a corner of sanity amid the upheaval. Before the men left at around six last night, they put all the big furniture back in its approximate place, but advised me to wait till today to rehang pictures and push any pieces flush against the walls. So now my house looks like this.

Of course everything I pick up has to be dusted and wiped down or washed before being put back in its place. I'm throwing out some things, otherwise it'll be years before they rotate to the forefront of my attention again. I've been at it since early this morning and decided to take a break for some breakfast—and coffee. Then I'll get back to work and try to make my labor a pleasant, meditative endeavor.

Next up, the kitchen: replacing cabinet hinges that have always been wonky, and maybe the cabinets themselves, changing out the dated hardware, replacing the broken microwave and the ancient stove, replacing the counter with some sort of stone, overhauling the defunct under counter lighting, and refinishing the butcher block peninsula. After that: refinish wood floors throughout the house, and maybe pick up the carpet in the bedrooms and put down hardwood. God, just typing that made me tired. I hope it won't be another few years.


12 comments:

  1. I'm basically at the tail end of having three rooms remodeled basically from top to bottom preceded by having the structural damage to the house repaired. this work is the result of having 18" of water in the lower part of the house, a gift from Hurricane Harvey. work started the end of September with two pauses in between rooms and is just now wrapping up except for having the outside of the house painted. that can wait til fall. but yeah, I agonized over color choices and two of the colors are white!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! And I'm amazed they got it all done so quickly. That's definitely a plus. Have you thought of having the cupboards painted instead of replaced? I've seen blogs where people have done it and it's amazing how different they look, and different hardware, as you contemplate, makes another layer of difference again. We're into our third year of my husband replacing the carpets with hardwood. So much gets put on hold when major work is being done. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your white paint. Looks great. Regarding kitchen, I did mine a few years ago and did all drawers and some drawers inside of drawers. This makes for easy access to everything, never having to remove things in front to find things in back. I put in one set of 4 uppers (one on top of the other) with lift up doors for dishes, bowls and glasses used daily. Home updates and renos are stressful and disruptive. Nice when completed. All is made easier when you have good people. Your painter sounds fabulous. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you getting that done! Breathe and get through one thing at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Moon has been painting his bathroom this evening and I just told him, "I love the smell of paint!" And I do. It's such a promise of fresh starts, of letting the old drips and drabs and stains of eras past be erased.
    Take one thing at a time, my dear. It will happen, all of it. But wouldn't it be awesome to have some magical power to get it all done at once? Oh yes. Yes it would.
    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done, you! A fresh lick of paint is a cheerful making change! White is great, can pick up any color or any sunrise. I always end up doing the painting alone , ladders with a two inch brush, so that I do not drip, because I am insane and cheap. By the time The living room , dining room , kitchen and bath are done, it is time to start again from the beginning, the horrid room where the television lives. And around I go again. I am too old for this. I may follow your lead, and hire...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That's a lot of work! But congrats on getting through these first stages -- a coat of paint makes a HUGE difference. (As we discovered when we repainted here.) And this is a great opportunity to go through your stuff and cull, as you are doing. Just think how amazing everything will look as you work through these projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love painting but hate the mess. It always feels so good when all the walls are freshly painted. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done and doesn't it make you feel good!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fresh paint! I love it. The process is so stressful and hard.
    Congratulations on making through! XXOO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Last year we painted the three bedrooms and it made such a difference. But the work involved getting ready for the painter and the cleanup afterwards. There is a reason we only paint after 15+ years.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a lot of work, all of it, but when it's complete it makes the effort so worth it. When we were young and energetic, we remodeled our kitchen ourselves. From ceramic tiling the floor and countertops, to replacing the cupboards. Oh to be young again!

    ReplyDelete