Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Dear America

According to recent polls, some 47 percent of you are propping up a president who a few days ago declared himself a nationalist from a podium, over a loudspeaker, as some of you cheered, as if it was code to unleash the forces of hate to wage war.

You are giving credence and power to a man who declares the free press the enemy of the people, and a cadre of Republican minions too cowardly or morally bankrupt to stand against him, who in fact run all manner of racist and spectacularly dishonest ad campaigns in political races, who steal millions of votes in plain sight, whose nationalist rhetoric inflames the forces of hate to wage war.

This morning, the war was joined by those forces responding to the dog whistle, which was really a bullhorn. They sent pipe bombs to those who would seek to check their rampant, violent brand of nationalism. America, your president is stoking the flames of a race war, one in which white supremacists devote themselves to the destruction and nullification of all others. You might think I'm overstating things, that I too am being inflammatory, but I'm really not.

Today, several explosive devices were intercepted, one at the home of the Clintons, one at the home of the Obamas, one sent to CNN at the Time Warner building in midtown Manhattan. Also targeted by these letter bombs were former attorney general Eric Holder, ex CIA man and Trump critic John Brennan, congresswomen Maxine Waters and Debbie Wasserman Schultz, and liberal billionaire George Soros.

This is America in 2018. We are no longer on the brink, but deep in the maw of a new civil war. The weapons have changed, and so have the battlegrounds. But the forces of division, bigotry, and hate look much the same. So when the activists and community organizers plead with us to get out there and vote as if our life depends on it, they are not speaking in euphemism.

Our very lives depend on what we do now.


11 comments:

  1. I'm going to early-vote tomorrow. At a physical place. I don't trust anything right now.
    I am simply absolutely aghast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this to my family, voice breaking and tears coming towards the end. Perfectly said. How I wish it wasn't true.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. and once again Trump refuses to take responsibility for what he has done, inciting these people to violence. and Putin gleefully proclaims our demise is almost done. and he's right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hope lives on the thought that there are enough people now who see that their vote DOES matter after all, that our lives depend on it.

    May the 53% polled grow to greater percentages as the younger generations and the older generations with all their diversity step up to counter our current administration. So many of those of the aging 47% of mostly white people are coming to the end of their sad wasted hateful lives. Their pipe bombs show that they know they are losing power. They will always be in our midst but I pray that the pall they have cast over our country since 2016 will be lifted in the coming months and years, and that a real change of our national heart will bring something new and vital to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am holding space and my breath for all of you. Surely this is not how it has to be. Surely this will not be how it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had to shut down my Facebook for a bit because there's so much BS about the Democrats being behind this! How can anyone who backs such a dangerous SOB believe that??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, they are still fighting the civil war. For them it never ended, and now they have a President who stokes the fires. I am afraid for our country and for our planet. Yes, vote like our lives depend on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I voted straight Blue on the first day of early voting.You are correct about our lives depending on this. From climate change, to gun control, healthcare, and global relationships. We can do this, but we have to get out the vote.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really afraid of where we're headed as a country for the first time in my life. Afraid and sickened. Like Ms. Moon, I plan to early vote and I hope it matters....but I'm beginning to think it may not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Scary times indeed, not just for Americans either.

    ReplyDelete