Thursday, March 7, 2024

News from my small corner


This gorgeous crew, plus one more friend who is joining them from Boston, is touching down in Puerto Rico as I write, all of them set to celebrate my girl on her bachelorette weekend fling. I asked them to send me pictures so I can live vicariously, but I'm not holding my breath. Still, I will enjoy thinking of them together, my daughter and her three cousins, her sister-in-law, and the friend from Boston of whom she once said to me, "The friendships you make as an adult, when you're both fully who you are and choosing each other, are rock solid." There are other celebrations planned along the way to the happy couple's nuptials in July, including a gathering with her childhood friend group known as The Six, and a bridal shower thrown by me, to which all comers will be invited. I'm not a good event planner, that is my daughter's forte, so I have a bit of agita about planning the shower. But it's still a couple of months away, and so I don't need to enter full blown anxiety over the matter quite yet. Also, her wedding dress arrived at the shop this month. This thing is happening!

The book I've been working on went up on Amazon last Saturday, and technically I'm now allowed to share my role in its writing, but I won't just yet. I still feel a bit shy. I'll just say the pub date has been set for September 3, so I'll definitely post about the book then, if not before. Now that we're coming to the end of the publishing process, I have to say, this project felt charmed from the start, as if all the souls who participated in the book's making had got together before we ever incarnated into this life and said, let's all find each other and do this cool thing when we get to planet earth. 

My son, who drove his wife, his sister, and two cousins to the airport this morning, is going with me to the tile store tomorrow to choose tiles for the back bathroom redo. Now that the book is done, I'm ready to embark on that upheaval, and as usual, I don't trust my choices, but it helps to remember I don't have to achieve a House & Garden bathroom, just one that is clean and neat with a nice walk in shower, and tiles that are classic and timeless. The home improvement project continues. The good news is I still like my kitchen reno two years later, and the front bathroom is okay, too, though those white hex floor tiles show every speck of dust, something to keep in mind as I consider floor options this time around.

My agent asked if she should start putting my name back out there. I told her not yet, which in this freelance life feels risky. No idea yet what the next job will be but I think I want a little down time, with just the magazine editing for a while. Here is the puzzle on my dining table.



9 comments:

  1. I'm sure those young women will have a lovely time. The world is so different now, I didn't even have a wedding shower, or a baby shower now that I think of it. Oh well, I survived. Can't wait to see the book and the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new bathroom - how cool is that! The park model we bought (think tiny manufactured home) has laminate on the bathroom floor, which was about the worst choice that could have been made. Water makes the laminate de-laminate. If we were younger, I'd have it taken out, but we're not. Your girls are lovely as always, I hope they have a wonderful time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful group with amazing smiles. I think you deserve a break, frankly, and redoing a bathroom is not taking a break. Book yourself in to something leisurely and fun for a few days and breathe.
    Tile - we redid the main bathroom and I picked a light gray with streaks through it at random. Still happy with that and nothing, nothing shows on it. Including a pill if I drop it, but that is a small price to pay. We put in a dark wood cabinet with a white top and a painting of cardinals. I use bright red towels - that also do not show dirt, fortuitiously - and it works pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost texted you last night- "Are you watching this?" You are part of history now.
    Just as you part of a chain of amazing, strong, beautiful women. Look at those beautiful girls!
    Have fun picking out tiles. Go with your heart when choosing. Go with your heart on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful women off for a fling! and you deserve some down time with smaller projects. don't worry though, as soon as you are ready another book will come your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, absolutely! You have earned some downtime! I don't blame you at all for wanting to take a bit of a breather. (And you'll still be editing, so it's not even really that!) Hope your daughter and her friends have a great time on their bachelorette outing. I can't believe your kitchen reno was two years ago! Time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great photo of really lovely women. How much fun this trip will be!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure those women had a wonderful time celebrating your daughter. Best of luck with the bathroom redo - I'm sure it will turn out great. Can't wait to find out about the book you just finished...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always so heartwarming to see photos of your daughter with family and friends gathered with so much love. Sweet in every way. I look forward to reading more about your latest book, and the new bathroom tile. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete