Monday, March 18, 2024

Tonglen—"I breathe out love"


After my conversation with my friend yesterday, I looked up the Tibetan Buddhist practice of Tonglen, and here is what I found:

Tonglen practice, also known as “taking and sending,” reverses our usual logic of avoiding suffering and seeking pleasure. In tonglen practice, we visualize taking in the pain of others with every in-breath and sending out whatever will benefit them on the out-breath. In the process, we become liberated from age-old patterns and begin to feel love for both ourselves and others; we begin to take care of ourselves and others ...

Usually, we look away when we see someone suffering. Their pain brings up our fear or anger; it brings up our resistance and confusion. So we can also do tonglen for all the people just like ourselves—all those who wish to be compassionate but instead are afraid, who wish to be brave but instead are cowardly. Rather than beating ourselves up, we can use our personal stuckness as a stepping stone to understanding what people are up against all over the world. Breathe in for all of us and breathe out for all of us. Use what seems like poison as medicine. We can use our personal suffering as the path to compassion for all beings.

When I feel helpless at the chaos and pain of our world, I can pause and breathe in suffering and, with intention, breathe out love. This is something I can do.

There's more here.

The photograph is by Xan Padron.

6 comments:

  1. So true. By simply breathing consciously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there is lot to admire in Buddhism. it rings more true to me that the Abrahamic religions. but then buddhism isn't really a religion, it's a practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried this, perhaps I'll try again. Right now I feel stressed with too much to do and not enough time, as well as the entire world descending into madness. I look forward to retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something new for me and something I may need. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete