Thursday, October 17, 2019

More than afternoon coffee

Sometimes I am just so humbled by my life. I met a woman for coffee this afternoon. She's an editor at that same publishing house whose publisher I met last year when I flirted with taking a full time job, but then a book project came through and I decided to do that instead. But I loved that publisher. Perhaps the good feeling was mutual because last month she suggested that her editor reach out to me. She said we should meet, that there is work we might yet do together down the road, and I absolutely loved the editor, too. We had such an instantaneous connection, our conversation freely roaming, quickly moving past work things to life things, an open sharing of souls. And to think this morning I was doing my usual hand-wringing, not wanting to show up, wondering if I could call and cancel, but I made myself get dressed and go, it took a lot of talking to myself to get me there, and now I think how sad it would have been if I had missed meeting this generous, deeply kind soul. Maybe we'll do work together, I don't know. But I feel as if I just encountered a person I've known for aeons, and we paused to check in with one another, and see how this adjacent incarnation we both chose is going. With some people, the feeling you have after being with them for a spell is an expansive, all-encompassing love. That is the feeling she inspired in me, a pure giant-hearted lovingness that extends to every person and every thing.

13 comments:

  1. You absolutely nailed how it feels with some people. That giant-hearted lovingness. Meeting this woman (again?) was a little mitzvah from the universe to you. Obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when that happens. obviously the two of you have known each other before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been a long time since I've felt that but you are right about it happening with some folks. A true gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I meet people like that, I say they twinkle. Their souls shine for all to see. I'm glad you met up and I love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful. It doesn't happen often. I hope that something good will come of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I regularly went to the Village Zendo in Soho years ago, "just show up" was a common refrain among people there. In other words, you might not feel like practicing, but just show up. I suppose that extends to many social engagements -- because who can tell what might happen or who you might meet? I'm so glad this went well and that it could lead to further professional opportunities down the road!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your description of that connection. Oh when it happens, it goes all the way to the heart and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you made yourself go! It's nothing short of magical when this special connection is made. Much love.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're always an inspiration to me when you face that voice that say's don't but you do. I've know that feeling of instantaneous simpatico a few time and you described it so perfectly.
    I haven't been reading for awhile, things going on here, but it is such a treat to come back to your elegant, beautiful writing. Take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your writing and pictures make NYC look like such a magical place, where anything could happen. I'm so happy that you made yourself go.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful to hear. I love meeting "kindred spirits" as Anne would call them :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How wonderful that you forced yourself to go and faced your fears and met a soul mate. That meeting was meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful. I know that feeling, that joy of connecting to someone that you feel as if you have known in another life or other world and pausing to just check in with each other.
    Good for you not to have missed this encounter... Hugs, xx Beth

    ReplyDelete