Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Good Morning


I turned in the preface and first three chapters yesterday morning. And now we wait. My subject and I worked on the pages together, and she pronounced herself very happy with the result, but now we would like the editor and publisher to be happy with them, too. It definitely helps that my subject has approved them. Perhaps that means the additional edits will be lighter, we shall see. 

I don't usually turn in any pages till I have a full draft, so it was interesting to note the different approaches I have when drafting the story versus when I'm preparing the manuscript to be turned in. I'm rough and ready in the former stage, forcing myself to just get down the words, to tell the story plainly, trusting lyricism to find its way in, if not in the first draft, then later. There's a forward momentum to the process, an energy to keep going, knowing that you will be able to improve what's there in subsequent passes. 

It's different when you're trying to get a piece to the level of polish needed for its release to judge and executioner. You're reading in an entirely different way, literally weighing every word, listening for the rhythm of the sentences, the pacing of the narrative, figuring out how much telling you can do before showing—building actual scenes with dialogue, allowing the reader to see, hear, touch, smell, and relate emotionally to the action. 

I swear I read those first twenty thousand words more than a hundred times, until it all began to seem incredibly flat (fortunately, I now know this is a real stage, the conviction that everything you've written is drivel). And then, on Sunday night before I was to email the chapters to the rest of the team, I suddenly realized why I couldn't stop fiddling with them. It was because the very first paragraph kept bothering me. It was okay, it was serviceable, it did the job we wanted it to do, but something just never felt quite right to me. And suddenly, on maybe the one hundred and tenth reading, I knew exactly what I needed to do the fix it! 

Honestly, it was a thrilling moment. It simply entailed changing the paragraph from the present to the past tense and pulling a sentence from the middle of the first page to be the opening salvo, a far more immediate entry, set in the consciousness of my subject, rather than in the consciousness of people in the room looking on. It was internal emotion and wonder versus external description, and it reminded me why, as hard as this process often feels, I love what I do. There will be further changes of course. I am also an editor, and I understand the value of the editing process, a necessary collaboration. How many times have you read an almost brilliant book and thought, if only it had been more bravely edited?

So I'm talking about writing again, because this is how my days are being spent right now. It's all consuming, really. But yesterday I went for a walk with my friend Jane. We call these walks our bench tour (as in "Fancy an afternoon bench tour?"), because we walk the garden paths from one bench to another, sitting for a while on any bench that is drenched by sun (it was below freezing out) and chatting about our lives. She is heading to London for a solo vacation today, and was feeling a lot of stress about that. She shares my travel anxiety, which probably means she will be just fine once she actually arrives. Steve, I told her I have a friend in London who I could reach out to on her behalf in a crisis. I hope I didn't overstep! I'm pretty sure there will be no crisis, and that she will have a wonderful time, with no one to please but herself. 

In other news, the Supreme Court will hear oral arguments on Biden's standing to authorize student loan forgiveness this morning. On the day applications for forgiveness opened last fall, my two kids and my niece immediately applied, so that when my husband and I, hearing on the news that the portal was open, called to let them know, they reported, oh, we already sent everything in this morning. Their diligence put them among the 16 million applicants who got the proposed portion of their loans approved for cancellation before the legal challenge to Biden's program was filed, though the actual forgiveness is on pause pending the outcome of the litigation. In my daughter's case, this would wipe out the remaining portion of her federal student loan entirely. I do hope everyone else who stands to benefit will be able to do so once the court rules. But with the current composition of the court, that is hardly a given.

It's currently snowing in New York City, the first real snow of the winter. I'm imagining being in a room with a stained glass window as serene as the one in the photo up top. It reminds me of when I spent two charmed weeks at Yaddo twenty-three years ago now. My children were babies then, and my mother came to stay to help out while I was away. I remember my cousin Karen joked to my husband, "I hope my niece and nephew are being cared for to the same standard as when their mother is there?" "Oh no," my husband told her. "The standard is much higher. Their grandmother is here." 

He wasn't lying.

Happy Tuesday, my dear friends. 

I'm off to visit you all.



13 comments:

  1. How interesting to read about the writing process. You explain it all so well and I can see why you are so good at what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, of course you're writing about writing! I can relate to so much of what your are saying/feeling. different art form but similar stages. Back before we retired from the etched glass commission work, most my posts were either about letting go of the city and moving out here or whatever job I was working on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading about how you write is a wonderful thing. It is an art, which is something I didn't realize until meeting you. I'm glad things are going well with the book and I'm even happier that your daughter had the remainder of student loan forgiven. I had a large portion of my student loan forgiven as a single parent but it still took me nine years to pay of my student loan.

    The world is such a messed up place right now that I despair. I've been feeling low, gathering all of the bad news to me, to validate my own feelings. Not a healthy way to deal with life I know. Sigh. It will pass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when you talk about writing - you teach even as you record. And, yes, that moment when you know you have found the right write (eh?) is one of the best.
    So glad to hear about the loan cancellation. Now we wait to hear from the court. Sigh.
    It is snowing here. I cancelled my English tutoring this morning as I was afraid I would not get home from the town where it takes place. And, just half an hour ago, the plow ploughed through. I would have been fine.
    Must set the student up on Zoom. Up here in eastern Ontario, we have another six weeks of possibly snowed-in roads.
    And why, she whined, must I put a comma in that phrase above, Oxford Companion to English Literature, please? Life is full of far too many commas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about your writing process, how you read and re-read what you've written until you find the thing that needs changing. You then find your peace, and that is the best!
    We are living in such challenging times. I'm so glad that your daughter and son got their applications approved for cancellation before the Supreme Court makes their judgment. Enjoy the quiet of snowfall there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your description of the rhythm and creative momentum of your writing process and the love that characterizes your family continue to inspire me. Glad to hear the good news for your daughter, son, and niece and that you got to do the bench tour in the winter sunshine. It's been snowing here today but will likely be gone by tomorrow. Sometimes we get snow in April, but this may be the last of the snow for winter of 2023.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you must have felt as if you had found a golden coin in a well-used purse when you figured out that paragraph's true form. You knew it was there! I love that. I also love the idea of a bench walk with a heart-friend. A very fine way to get outside and find the sun and have a bit of human contact.
    As for your daughter and the student loan- what a huge relief this must be for her and for you! Now if only everyone can get the chance to feel that relief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such an exciting moment to find the right words.
      My kids applied right off too. I haven't much hope
      The court will let it happen.

      Delete
  8. I love when you talk about writing. Back in college I could write a decent term paper, following the rule of "the first paragraph tells them what you'll them them" and then each succeeding paragraph ties back to each sentence in the first paragraph. Not terribly creative, but well organized. I admire your skill tremendously, and appreciate your sharing with us. The weather heads are actually talking about SNOW in Tucson tomorrow. Please, give me sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Incredible satisfying when the click into place finally sets it all splendidly right. Well done, you. Tenacity! Bench tours are a wonderful thing , walking, talking, clearing the crowded brain. Your writing becoming even more superb. Thanks you for sharing your process.
    Fingers crossed for the kids and that whole thing. Biden is trying so hard against all odds to do good things for the common folk. The woke folk... Up hill all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. After I posted I realized that your son, daughter and niece and all concerned are still wondering what will happen. I'd like to think that my mistake was a premonition of good things for them and all those who carry the burden of student loans. Who knows? I remain hopeful. Why not?

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, I love that photo!

    Of course it's fine that you mentioned me to your friend Jane. If she needs anything at all, just e-mail me and let me know. (Or give her my e-mail, which I hope you still have?) She will be fine once she's here, I'm sure. I always get tense and worried before I travel and once the trip is underway I'm fine.

    I clicked with what you said about brave editing. I just finished a biography of Buffy Sainte-Marie that should have been fascinating, and it just wasn't. I appreciate how much thought you give to matters like voice and perspective and I love that story about the first paragraph. Funny how many times you can read something and have it seem OK, before finally clicking on what's needed to make it GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Student loan forgiveness. Someone will pay for it. Mixed bag of thinking about that one, as the wife of one who had borrowed and we paid off the student loan over 10 years (no parental help with his schooling, he was first one to go to college) and also watched a nephew working, juggling stages of life while paying off his enormous $250,000 student loan early rather than by when his newborn daughter would be 18! I'm sure he's not a fan of forgiveness and I can understand. He thoroughly appreciated his education and I suspect paying his own debt for it helped with that and also his choice of field to study.

    Love hearing your description of the writing and thinking process. So clear. I was a tech writer (computer stuff) so not creative and now am an editor for technical papers. I appreciate your talent and your blog! Thank you. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete