Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Best laid plans


My daughter took that pic of her cousin and brand new niece when she was in Dallas a month ago.
My niece and her husband were bringing Baby Harper to visit us in New York for the week. They were to arrive tonight. But my niece called on Monday with the news that she is down with Covid, so they can’t travel after all. So now, unless I get myself on a plane to Dallas in the next month or so, I won’t hold that precious little girl until Thanksgiving. I hope my niece feels better soon. Her husband is still testing negative, and the little one shows no signs of distress. There will be no room reveal for them this week, however, so here are some pictures of the reno'ed bedroom, a project envisioned and driven by my daughter. "I'm the project manager, you're the client," she told me at one point. "So just give me a budget and then sit back and let me handle the details." She consulted with me on all purchases, since its my house after all, and she was using my card, but the vision for the room is mainly hers. The grungy old carpet is gone, the vinyl flooring is new, the walls are painted fresh (I couldn't decide on an accent wall color, so white it is), and all the modular Scandinavian furniture has been assembled (there are the beautiful builders, in a picture taken before). 
 
Not everything has been moved back in as yet, the shelves will eventually become much more full, as this room is also my husband's work studio, the place where he will make his stained glass boxes and icons, beaded Anglican rosaries, model sailing ships, design his floral arrangements, play his guitar, study Portuguese, and do whatever other creative pursuits catch his fancy. The room smells wonderfully like sawdust, with everything bright and clean and new. In contrast, our bedroom now feels like a dark pit, with way too much stuff in there, and a carpet twenty years old and crying out to be released from service. 
 
I'm determined to get to my room too in my refresh chronicles. I feel almost light, thinking of all the material possessions I will get to divest myself of. But first, I have to turn this book in to the editor. I have a full first draft, and am working on addressing my subject's notes for the revision. In other words, we're quite far along. Best of all, she is very happy with what we've done. The heaviest lift (getting down a complete draft) is done. The painful part is over. And with one who is as personally generous and as nuanced a thinker as my current subject is, this part of the process is actually feeling like (dare I say it?) fun. Even so, the grind continues. There are many more stages of this book journey to go yet. Please know, dear friends, I'm reading your posts. I just don't always have enough free mental space to formulate a coherent comment.
 




11 comments:

  1. Very nice! Sorry about the change in plans, that is disappointing. Very sweet photo, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an ongoing joy to have these photographic glimpses into your life along with the clarity with which you write about your life and the life of your family. Love the photo of Baby Harper and your niece. The painting (photograph?) above the bed catches my eye. Sad to hear that COVID disrupted plans. Looking forward to reading your next book collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just hear four-year old May saying, "All that work!" But it is nice to know that it is done and will be ready when that precious baby does get to come visit you. I hope that the covid doesn't spread any farther in that family.
    I really love the calm and peaceful simplicity of the room. And yes! Now it is time for YOUR room.
    How terrific that the book is so close to finished and that this part of the work is enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that room is beautiful! Sorry to hear about your niece and the covid. Katie has the covid right now too. You will get to see them, your niece and the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The room looks wonderful, very serene. Happy to hear the book is progressing and the heavy lifting is over. I am sorry the visit has to be postponed due to Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely room! And what a treat to have your own project manager to make it come to life. So glad you are enjoying the current writing project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry your visitors couldn't come because of Covid. Hope all heal quickly and no one else in their family gets it. I like that room - your "project manager" did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awww i hope she feels better real soon! and i just know that your next project will be great. it will be WORK, but it will be great

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope you get to see your niece and family soon. I wish Covid would just go away so life can unfold without such an ongoing menacing presence. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The room looks amazing! Well done. And glad you are onto revisions, unfun as those can be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope everyone is well for Thanksgiving. Your room looks restful.

    ReplyDelete