Monday, January 29, 2024

Counting every day


I ran across one of the questions people like to ask on social media: If you could give your eighteen year old self one bit of wisdom in three words, what would you say? I thought about it for a long time, and was honestly stumped. Travel the world maybe, to which I would add the unspoken—do it while you're still young and strong and your joints still work and you can fly up stairs and walk long distances without pain. I knew what I should tell my younger self. I should warn her to pay attention to the body as well as the heart and mind, to eat right and exercise, especially to exercise, but I knew it would have been futile, my younger self wouldn't have listened, because the body would work until the day it didn't, the day in my twenty-seventh year when I fell from where I was standing on top of my desk trying to dust the top of a picture frame, because the brother of the man who was not yet my husband was passing through New York and stopping by to visit, and I wanted to make a good impression. 

I fell off that desk and wrecked my left knee. I wore an immobilizer on that leg for weeks, innocently wrecking my other knee as it did all the compensating, adjusting and twisting and accommodating and putting itself in unnatural positions to keep me moving forward heedlessly. I was traveling a lot in those days, as a reporter for LIFE magazine, jumping on planes every other week, working with photographers in near and far flung places, living in hotels and motels for weeks at a time, always on the go. 

Thus my body began to shift out of sync, and I just worked around the discomfort, then the pain, for too many years, never really addressing it, and I can draw a straight line from my once youthful sense of invulnerability to where I am now, every joint complaining, none of it helped by the below freezing temperatures in the city, the cold sneaking in through the seams of windows and the vents of AC units and settling in my bones. And then, there's an extra portion of lingering pain from my recent dance with Covid, I am definitely not imagining the aches that have not gone away. My son tells me he feels them, too, and I pray the fact that he does eat right and exercise will spare him from the arthritis I inherited from my mother. It seems Covid finds the places where your body is weakest, and burrows in there, and for me, that is most definitely the joints and the scaffold of no longer young and never invulnerable bones. 

Anyway, this wasn't where I thought I'd go when I opened this page. I thought I was going to report that I turned in the final draft today, and yay, team!

Also, what advice would you give your eighteen year old self? In three words  


11 comments:

  1. Well, yes, YAY TEAM! And huge congratulations but reading your post made me cry.
    I know, I know, I know.
    Oh, honey. I know. We may have all gotten to this place on the path in different ways but the thing is- here we are. And some days are just too much. I'm sorry you're having one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That fall in your 27th year was certainly a turning point physically. The enduring strength of your creative spirit is another thing, sustaining you today as you turned in the final draft. Yaaayyy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three words? Don't get pregnant!

    I've got lots of aches and pains but fortunately, they don't affect my mobility. When I tore my plantar fascia two years ago, I realized how important my muscular and skeletal health was for me to enjoy the last chapter of my life. I've also been lucky and had no terrible things happen to me, no broken bones.
    Congrats on your final draft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay on the final draft!

    I would tell myself to take more emotional risks. Don't be so cautious. Kiss who you want to kiss, love who you want to love. Be sensible and respectful but also open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would tell my 18 year old self "you are enough".
    Sorry to hear about your aches and pains. It seems these days that old age is piling on and I'm getting all of the complaints that I remember my aunts and grandma making.
    Congrats on your final draft! You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry you have been in pain. I really hope you find some relief. I would tell my 18 year old self, "Don't ever hitchhike." (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  7. May I use four words? "Have your own money."
    I am sorry to read the Covid is lingering in the scaffolding. It's an insidious virus, one that is not being taken seriously enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three words for my 18-year-old self: Trust your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you! So glad to hear that the draft is in. And that could have been me, talking about the knees and all that. With me it was making maple syrup, plodding through wet snow on big Algonquin snowshoes carrying heavy loads. Ouch. However, I can still manage with one cane (that I forget to pick up half the time) or a grocery cart to lean on, and the world is there.
    I hope you feel better and stronger soon. Damn Covid. And the son as well. Hey, it is February today. In 29 days it will be March and the worst will be behind us.

    ReplyDelete