Saturday, January 13, 2024

Here and there

There we are, my girl and me, in our usual January theater selfie. It's tradition now, that my girl gives me tickets to a Broadway play for Christmas, and we go out to dinner beforehand, and make a night of it. We both love the theater, especially musicals, but neither of our partners is as in love with the live musical experience as we are, which is okay, because we have each other, and can go together. It is my very favorite thing that I look forward to every January. This year, we saw Hadestown, which won both a Tony and a Grammy for Best Musical in 2019, as well as an armful of other awards, including Best Scenic Design and Best Lighting Design. I have to say, the lighting design was truly extraordinary. Usually, it's just part of the experience for me, the lighting that is, but in this show, it was a character onto itself, and I was blown away. Hadestown is a modern-day retelling of the Greek myths of Hades and Persephone and Orpheus and Eurydice, set in a New Orleans meets Mad Max dystopia. We loved it. Most of all, I loved spending the evening with my darling girl.


Meanwhile, in Jamaica, my grand niece Harper was meeting other family members, and her mom sent me pictures. I love these two of Harper at the home of my cousin Maureen. Everyone says Maureen and I look alike, and I'm intrigued to see she's even wearing glasses that are similar to mine. She's four years older than I am, but for whatever reason, I look like the older cousin now. Sometimes I look in the mirror and it seems as if my face is melting—but enough of that! Aren't my cousin and our grand niece beautiful? And there Harper is in the second photo below with Maureen's granddaughter Lauren, another beauty, after Harper's first swim in my cousin's pool. I love seeing the next generation of cousins getting in their bonding time. I do love my family.


 

Good January to you, dear friends. I'm just tipping in for a hot second to say hey, then tipping out again. Work and life and the wider world are plenty intense right now, and I think we're all dancing as fast as we can.


11 comments:

  1. Glad to see those happy family photos! Wishing you a healthy 2024 filled with many fun adventures, Rosemarie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos. We're all freezing our asses off here, so stay inside as much as possible:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you do. And, yes, they are. And all, all, lovely to see. I will pass your comments regarding the musical to my YD and her equally addicted niece. they flew to New York from here for Hamilton for the grandgirl’s birthday treat. Worth every penny for their joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You absolutely have the most glorious family. That picture of Lauren with Harper is just heart-stopping. I love little kids with babies. There's such a sweetness there. I think it's magic to the babies to see the older children. They KNOW they're kids, somehow, and yet, they seem like small grown-ups to them, I think. I don't know. I do know, however, that little kids also adore babies! And look at Lauren's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to hear from you! Wonderful mother-daughter tradition!

    The only time I was in Manhattan was in September 1982 with my mother and my father. That was when I was 32 years old. My mother brought me to see Evita at the Broadway Theater. I had just graduated from college with a degree in English Literature and Studio Art. The trip to Manhattan and Washington, D.C., was my father's idea. The plan was to visit as many art galleries and museums as possible and to visit the Smithsonian. My father and his father and a friend of his father had traveled from Minneapolis to Manhattan and Washington, D.C., after he graduated from high school in Minnesota in the early 1930s. I'm eternally grateful to my father and my mother for our splendid experience together.

    Harper is bringing such joy to your extended family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of you are so beautiful! What a wonderful treat your daughter has gifted you and a lovely tradition. Darling Harper! You may be dancing fast but your steps are sure and perfect.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful photos of family love in every way. (Blogger doesn't let me comment much anymore, I'm hoping this goes through. NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos! I'm glad you got a fun night out with your daughter. I haven't even heard of "Hadestown," which shows how disconnected I've become from New York theater since moving overseas. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, you and your cousin do look quite a lot alike. your family does make beautiful people. and how nice to have a traditional outing every year with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots to love in your family. Good January to you too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My but you have gorgeous women in your family as are you!

    ReplyDelete