Monday, July 12, 2021

Covid breakthrough


This week was going to be a blast from the past, with our niece and her husband, who live in Dallas, traveling to New York City for the week to celebrate his birthday with us all. There was supposed to be roof deck dining in Brooklyn on an evening when my son wasn't working, and then a birthday party at a Mexican restaurant in the East Village on Saturday, with his parents. But this morning, my niece woke up unable to smell anything, and then to taste anything, and she has now tested positive for Covid. She thought she had a sinus infection or a cold. It had happened the same way a month ago, but she had tested negative then, and put it down to allergies. She isn't incapacitated; she says she felt much worse after the second vaccine. She mentioned that the medical wisdom is to stay somewhat active so the congestion doesn't become pneumonia—good to know. She plans to mask up and walk their dog, as well as do light workouts on their Peloton during her fourteen day quarantine. She's a dentist, and won't be able to go back to work till the end of the month. Her husband, who appears to be asymptomatic, is right now getting tested, too. (Update: He tested negative). That's my niece on the left with my daughter in the photo above. I'd anticipated that the mood this week was going to be as festive as it is in that photo. At least her case is a relatively mild one, but these breakthrough infections are no joke, people. The variants are knocking at our door.


14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that your niece has Covid. Yes, there are breakthrough cases, which is why we have to stay masked up and careful. I hope she recovers well and quickly. Thinking of her and your family. Take care there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH NO!! I thought for sure she would have been protected, two injections plus being a dentist! WOW! So sorry, a word of warning, right? I hope she is well soon and has no lingering effects.
    That is such bad news! Fingers crossed for her. LOVE
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photo of your niece and your daughter.

    That is sobering news. Hope your niece continues to have a relatively mild case of Covid and that her husband tests negative. Thank you for this message, convincing me to continue wearing my mask in all stores and indoor places where people gather. I was out doing errands today, not wearing my mask except where required. I saw plenty of masks. The Delta variant has just arrived in the county where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo. I hope she gets well and has no long haul effects. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry to read this. Hopefully it will be mild, and there will be no lasting after effects for her.
    We still mask, no vaccine is perfect and there are too many unvaxed people roaming around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well shit. That's not good news. It worries me that people are still getting covid, even with the vaccinations. I know the disease won't be as severe but they can still pass the disease on. It ain't over, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your last two sentences - absolutely. People in many places in Canada are throwing caution to the wind and it can only end badly because the vaccines are not a magic wand. They are a tool, and we must keep on with the other tools we have too. I hope your niece continues to feel fairly well in spite of the virus, and that her quarantine time goes quickly for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your warning is well taken. Sadly, we are not completely out-of-the-woods. I am so sorry to hear your niece is dealing with Covid for the second time. Hopefully she will experience only a mild case with no residual illness. This is scary stuff, no doubt about it. I will pray for her speedy and full recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SHit shit shit. I echo all those who are hoping for your niece's continued easy path forward with this (and that your nephew either tests negative or stays asymptomatic). I have been incredibly worried about this since we lifted all mask mandates.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing a speedy and full recovery for your niece and hoping her husband is okay, too. Your message is a timely reminder that wearing a mask even when vaccinated is the best thing one can do in light of all the variants.

    ReplyDelete
  11. sorry to hear this has hit your family but at least since she is vaccinated it will be a mild case. I'm still wearing a mask when I go indoors. I don't know if the Delta variant has come to my county or town yet but I'd rather not take a chance. unfortunately this is going to continue since so many in this country refuse to get vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope she feels better soon and those around her stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope she'll be better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is scary. We're just planning our first family gathering. Now I'm wondering.

    ReplyDelete