Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Things are afoot over here

We will be replacing our floors through the living room, kitchen, and hallway early next week, we settled on the same maple color, and once that is completed, our new couches will be delivered. The long-planned and much-bemoaned home front refresh has officially kicked into high gear. We shall have to do things in stages, of course, observing the dictates of our pockets, but I believe we have found the contractor who can accomplish it all—floors, new kitchen, full bathroom renos (or cheaper cosmetic upgrades), and even the refinishing my mother's beloved but battered coffee table! Moments ago the contractor and one of his workers came and removed our beaten up brown couch, loveseat, and armchair in anticipation of the floor work, and this weekend, the man and I will need to remove all the books, photographs, art pieces, and what nots from the hallway shelves so they can move them more easily to lay the planks beneath them. This contractor has also shown us preliminary drawings for the kitchen re-do, though we don't have any quotes for that job yet, as some decisions are still being made. I'm working away on the sidelines of all this, but just wanted to pop in and report that this is happening! 

Our son just called, and was hearing about all the plans for the first time, as we only jump started everything last week when we got the call that the couches were ready to be delivered. Figuring the time to do the floors was before the new couches arrived, I called the contractor who had been recommended to me by some of my neighbors, whose work they had invited me to see in their apartments. I'd been impressed by the obvious care he took in his work, the impeccable way he finished each of his jobs that I viewed. When I met him in person for a consultation last Thursday, it didn't take me but a minute to decide he was the one. 

Only yesterday, my husband and I settled on laying all new vinyl plank floors as opposed to refinishing our worn maple veneers—so much cleaner, no dust from sanding, extra durable and waterproof, a fraction of the time needed for installation, plus we could still closely approximate the warm look of hardwood. In case you forgot the woeful state of our floors, take a look at that kitchen photo. The contractor told us he couldn't guarantee bringing them back to perfect condition, and that in a matter of months they would begin to get scuffed all over again. Hence our new direction.

On hearing the plans, our darling boy volunteered to come over tomorrow and move everything off the hallway bookshelves for us. "You can just keep working while I move the books shelf by shelf and stack them in the back bedroom," he told me, and what did we ever do to deserve our wonderful boy and girl. The man and I have been on the receiving end of a lot of philanthropic karma in this life. I'm humbled and grateful.


27 comments:

  1. This is all SO exciting! Yes, yes, yes! The space we live in, sleep in, spend most of our lives in should please us and I think you are wise to spend the resources to make yours please you more. A kitchen update! Just think...
    Oh my. I am excited for you and your man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling Mary, you know how long it took me to get here, all my doubts and hand wringing, and now look, we've begun! I figured we better get going on this refurbishing now while we're both still working! Whatever happens, it will be an upgrade, right? I think I have a failure of imagination in being able to truly see the outcome.

      Delete
  2. What goes around comes around so I imagine you are just getting from your son that which you gave him. And so exciting! Having remodeled two rooms and two bathrooms and a new deck in the last 5 years I can tell you how great it is when done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen, you're kind to say that, but I know absolutely wonderful people who have been great parents but did not necessarily get such rewards. It really is a crapshoot. I have a not fully thought through belief our kids come here to be who they're going to be in this life, with a slate of creating or burning karma. Despite their quirks (my son can be very bossy, believe me) they're here to do good this life, and we lucked out being their parents. You definitely have been victorious on the remodeling journey. I salute you, woman!

      Delete
  3. Exciting! I'm remembering when I made the decision to find a contractor to do some updates to my condominium in 2012 after having done nothing to it since I had bought it in 1990. It was so worth the time and money it took! I felt as if I had given myself a new life by making my home feel like something new within the original joy it gave me when I first walked into it and saw it as a home, a refuge, a safe place, a place where I could thrive creatively.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am, i love that you shared this experience. I trust that mine will be similar! it is an undertaking of faith for sure, especially for a freelancer, but as my mom used to say "trust your hopes and not your fears." Thank you for your kindness here always.

      Delete
    2. "Trust your hopes and not your fears." Wow! Wisdom shared and taken to heart. Thank you for that. My mom was more of a pessimist and worrier so no comforting words like that came forth. Too bad because they are so heart warming. Kim in PA

      Delete
  4. This all sounds like such a wonderful plan. Looking forward to seeing how the work progresses there. Really happy for you and your man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. robin, i've been on approach for so long I can hardly believe we've begun!

      Delete
  5. How exciting! Can't wait to see how it all turns out! What did you do to deserve your wonderful kids? Well, you raised wonderful kids, that's what!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, we did raise wonderful kids, but you know, I think they came here that way, and we are fortunate. We've certainly made our mistakes, and besides, good parents don't always end up with wonderful kids, I've seen that up close in my own family, believe me. But thank you for your generous framing of this!

      Delete
  6. We have a daughter like that!
    Aforesaid daughter and spouse endured a kitchen reno that took weeks and caused them to have to wash dishes in the laundry tub. Hope yours is faster!
    We are considering that floor in a kitchen reno, and I would love to hear your opinion after it is down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary G, I will definitely keep you posted on how the floor turns out, and I will share pictures. As I understand it, the new formulations of vinyl plank flooring are more durable than ever, and look very much like wood, too. I'll soon know if the latter promise turns out to be true. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  7. Congrats and good luck! It will be so lovely when finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, your mouth to God's ear, I hope! Thank you!

      Delete
  8. A big renovation like this is definitely exciting! Looking forward to seeing how everything turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa, its exciting and nerve wracking, except once you're on the road, there's nothing to do but keep moving forward, so here we are. I will share results!

      Delete
  9. It sounds beautiful and having helpful children is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I know you know about helpful children. They are the best. It never occurred to us to ask our boy to help us, and here he is, offering to do the whole thing. Bless him.

      Delete
  10. I love the flooring you've chosen. We see it a lot and it's really pretty. Having floors sanded is so messy, in Seattle we had to wash every surface in the house after they did the floors. Good on your son for moving books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison, I am relieved to hear you say that about the floors, not that you had to clean every surface of course, but because it helps confirm me in our decision. The apartment where our daughter and her love stayed last summer had these floors, and they were beautiful and very easy to clean. I'm optimistic! Dare I say excited even!

      Delete
  11. This is exciting. I love seeing renovations and I'm looking forward to seeing your new floors. We have to put new floors in our rental, Gracie wrecked them, and I've been thinking about what to use.

    I know renos take time and money and cause such chaos, but I also love my new kitchen. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, I will let you know how the floors work out. Vinyl planks might be a good durable option for you.

      Delete
  12. I used the fake wood flooring in my guest apartment that I rent out, and it looks amazing. I'm jealous actually, as the wood floors in my 100-year old house look not so great -- AND -- the old vinyl in the kitchen is full of cracks. I'm excited to see what it all looks like! And I agree that your children are blessings, but they, too, are blessed to have you and your husband as parents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your renovations sound outstanding. There's no turning back now! You'll soon be living in a custom home. Now that's something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray for your flooring choice, vinyl plank is a great option, many colors/patterns to choose from and easy to maintain. Looking forward to seeing how the project goes. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My vinyl plank pulls away from the walls and is now looking worn in some areas after four years...I hope you have better luck.

    ReplyDelete