Saturday, September 24, 2022

My son got married!


The wedding was everything I could have dreamed for my two loves, my son and now daughter-in-law, and then some. It takes a lot of work to make an event feel effortless, and they pulled it off magnificently. As one of my cousins put it, the occasion was part wedding, part family reunion, part adventure in the woods. It was a whole weekend of festivities, from the welcome party on Friday night after the wedding rehearsal, to the ceremony itself on Saturday afternoon followed by a cocktail hour and then dinner, and then an all out dance party that went until the wee hours, at which point everyone who was still upright gathered around for a good old camp bonfire. 


Our two families, the bride's and the groom's, meshed seamlessly, with a tangible energy of love and joyfulness infusing everything. The parents of the bride and groom in particular traveled together, with our new in-laws transporting us between camp and our hotel on Friday night, and my husband being our designated driver on Saturday evening. My son had been wound tight in the lead up to the day, because that's how he is when he's concentrating on getting everything done, but he has friends who know him well, who grew up with him at camp, and one of them, Liam, an avuncular bearded Brit, who is now the director of camp and lives on site with his wife and young son, took my boy in hand. "Come with me, lad," he said on Friday afternoon, taking him by the shoulders. "There are many people here who can move the tables and set up the chairs. Right now, I just need you to relax."

My daughter Kai and niece Leisa had made us all pledge to be "the easy family," meaning we would solve logistical queries on our own, rather than having my son Raddy have to concern himself with  such details as when the bus was scheduled to depart the hotel where they had a wedding block for guests reserved (the hotel concierge knew the answer) or how to actually find the open sided lakefront chapel on the winding paths of that sprawling camp and conference center in the woods (my daughter in law had put up signs). My daughter said it best. "I think the best thing we can do for Raddy is to be happy and have a good time," she advised, "because we all know he tries to take care of everyone, and if he sees we're not okay, that is going to stress him out and he's going to try and make things okay for us when he should be focusing on himself and his bride." She was so right. And so I pulled a zen-like state of peace and calm around myself like a cozy cloak, resolved that I would just roll with whatever happened, happily letting everything just be.

When the man and I arrived for the wedding rehearsal on Friday afternoon, to be followed by the welcome party for guests who were already in town, my son came over and bear hugged me, thanking me for being "so chill." "I told Kai and Leisa that I needed to call you and make sure you were still alive," he joked, "because I hadn't heard a peep out of you all afternoon." Their response: "You're welcome." I really could go on and on about the weekend, with its sublime late summer weather and beautiful loving vibe, and everyone's fascination with the familial bond among the now grown "camp kids," who turned out in force, but I think I will just stop here, because there is really no way to truly capture how magical it all was, how perfect in the end, and now I have a beautiful new daughter in law who in truth, I have loved from the first day I met her back in the spring of 2015. She and my son understand each other. They laugh easily together. As one of my cousins who was meeting Shannon for the first time said, "They are so obviously made for each other." And I love that our two families, different as we appear, are easy and congenial, too. 

The wedding ceremony was held in the lakeside chapel, the welcome party and reception in the camp's St. James hall, and the dinner in a tent on Pequot Field. What follows is a random selection of pictures people took. I really couldn't choose which ones to post here, I have so many in the shared album we all dumped our photos into. The professional pictures will be better and more organized, but here's my own record of the weekend for now.

____________

The Wedding Rehearsal and Welcome Party on Friday Eve:

____________

Getting Ready on Saturday Afternoon:

 

 

 
 
 
 
____________
 
Pictures on the way to the Chapel:  





 
 

 
____________
 
The Most Beautiful Vows:
 

____________
 
The Reception, Dinner, and Dancing:
 


 



 
 
 



 
Right as dinner ended and everyone was walking back across Pequot Field to St. James Hall for the dancing portion of the evening, the sky exploded with fireworks. They were so perfectly timed, and we have no idea who staged them. "Don't look at us," our newlyweds laughed. "We sure don't have fireworks money." At two-thousand dollars a minute I imagine they don't, and these fireworks lasted at least twenty minutes, right up to the moment the bride and groom took the floor for their first dance. We decided it was just more evidence of a divinely blessed union.
 

One more story: I carried the same embroidered clutch to Raddy and Shannon's wedding that my mom used at Rad and my wedding in 1986. Inside the bag, tucked into a small pocket, I discovered the name card for my mother's table seating at our reception. She sat at table 9 then. Thirtv six vears later I was at table 6. When Kai and Leisa saw the bag they said in unison, "Is that Grandma's handbag?" And then they both cried. They cried often that night, as Raddy and Shannon said their vows, as the bride and groom danced, smiling through tears during best man Jermaine (an ordained minister who also officiated) and maid of honor Katy's speeches. And all night we felt my mother very close by. Another detail: Shannon, her mom, and I wore matching bracelets with a single pearl, which Shannon placed on each of our wrists before the ceremony, uniting her womenfolk.


16 comments:

  1. Oh my god. I am sitting here crying my eyes out. Not only is this such a beautiful wedding and not only do I love (somehow, some way) all of these people so much, but it reminds me of Jessie and Vergil's wedding which was also held at a camp and was completely magical.
    Of course. Because. We are sisters. And I love you and your family with all of my heart. I wish that beautiful couple all of the joy in the world. What a grand and beautiful beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god about a million times. Bravo to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful wedding. I'm so pleased it went well and you can see from the photos how happy everyone is. Congratulations to your son and daughter-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such happy people! Congratulations to all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful. All of it. Such happiness and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful wedding and gathering. The photos are truly full of love in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful event! I especially love the photos of you and your husband with your son (together and individually!). Those fireworks really were the jewel in the crown, weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a glorious celebration of love! Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos with all of us who love your family so much -- even without ever meeting them in person. All the happiness in the world to Raddy and Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect night! You all look so happy, it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A sublime ongoing love story. It's what the world needs now and always. Thank you so much for sharing all those beautiful deeply moving photos of your son with his beloved as well as with family and friends who love him and his beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful photos. The most superb wedding. What memories you have to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Y'all do weddings so well! All the right stuff and isn't everyone utterly gorgeous? Goosebumps, here, I usually do not get involved in weddings, but this one has me hook , line and sinker. The little Grandmother purse just about did me in! And that girl of yours, My lord , she is bright light !! Her smile nearly broke my computer- so much wattage! Lovely all around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful day! Thanks for sharing your family with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos and your son and his new bride look so happy, actually everyone looks happy. A good time was had by all. I especially love the photo of you and your son hugging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The look on your son's face in some of the photos is hilarious. Mr Cool? Love it. Yes, magical.

    ReplyDelete