Friday, March 24, 2023

Beyond

Thank you for your supportive comments on my last post. I appreciate each of you more than you can imagine, and I love when people who've read here for a while comment for the first time. It's so good to know you're there. Welcome to this virtual community. The people here have become very dear to me.


That's me on my way to dinner with the book team on my third night in D.C., in the top my cousin calls my carnival outfit. As you can see, I went for it with the lipstick, unabashedly matching the bright. Too loud for sober workplaces, but maybe okay for a celebratory meal. This whole week could not have gone better, even though my entire body was shot through with pain. But every connection along the way was perfect, with me getting to the sidewalk at Union Station on Sunday evening, for example, at the exact moment that my cousin pulled up to drive me to her home. It was all like that.

The proceedings on Monday included a backstage tour of a grand place, which unfortunately I am not at liberty to name. But there was a lot of walking and witnessing where history was made, and I loved every moment. My cousin with whom I stay when I'm in the D.C. area, joined us. The day was a highlight for her, too. Later, I asked her could she tell I was walking through pain during the hours of the tour, and she said no, you did not show that at all. That was a relief to me, because who wants to be the one to derail the party? Not me. When we got back to her house at the end of the day however, I installed myself in her recliner, took some anti inflammatory pills, drank lots of water, and barely moved from that spot all night. 


This was my view, my nephew engaging with his phone in between looking up to chat with his mom and me. He's a teacher in between his music gigs now, and he turns out to be a natural in the classroom. He looks more Native American than ever these days, as his big stop sign Afro has given way to his hair in two braids tied with leather, silver earrings in both ears. He's as handsome as ever, this beloved Jamaican-American-Dakota-Sioux whose spirit is gentle.

By the next day, the pain in my body had reverted to baseline, and the people I was with were now accustomed to my limping penguin gait, I ceased being self-conscious about it, and in fact, I learned that one member of our group was born without sight in one eye, and another was managing a life transition, and I was reminded that we are, each of us, dealing with something hard. Who was it who said that we are all either about to enter a trial, are in the midst of a trial, or have just emerged from a trial, and we must remember always to treat each other tenderly. May I just say for the umpteenth time that I absolutely adore each member of this team I am having the great privilege of working with? I have to pinch myself sometimes. I'm so frickin grateful.

Then! On the train back to New York on Wednesday morning, I got an email from the agent on my last project saying that he was waiting to hear whether Michelle Miller's book Belonging, published last Tuesday, had made the New York Times bestseller list. We'll know this afternoon, he wrote, but it looks good for us. I was in the Amtrak quiet car, so I held in my shout of joy. Michelle has been doing such an awesome job on her book tour. She is warm and unfiltered and vulnerable and generous, she's great TV, and she's been simply magnificent on every stage. I'm so proud of her and happy for all of us who worked on her book, and guess what—Belonging  did in fact land on the NY Times list at the number 11 spot, and in pub week, too!

Michelle called me from L.A. when the news dropped. "You made the list!" she screamed into the phone. "You made the list!" I screamed back. "You wrote the book!" she said. "You're selling the heck out of it!" I responded. And then we both squealed like giddy schoolgirls and agreed, "We make a great team!"

So yes, THAT happened. 

Life is good and pain be damned.


18 comments:

  1. First. May I say you are a beauty, outside for sure and I strongly believe inside as well. Looks do run in your family, your nephew does look native and handsome. A gentle soul is the finishing touch. Big congrats on the book being on the NYTs best seller list. Hurrah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! What an honor for you. I am so pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, you look beautiful and your nephew is a beautiful looking young man as well. Runs in the family obviously.
    Congratulations on the book and making the New York Times bestseller list. I can't even imagine how exciting that would be. You two made a great team. I want to tell everyone that I know a famous author in New York City!
    I'm glad you had a good time and that the pain subsided. I'm smiling as I write this. Good news is a wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I saw your tweet about the book making the best seller list I was so happy for you. This is such a big deal. Michelle Miller is doing the heavy lifting of a book tour, good on her - and you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOT !!! That is BIG news and what a fine accomplishment for you! Sorry about pain, never fun at all, you do so well with it, I am full of admiration .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations a! So we’ll deserved. Well done, awesome women!!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Her joy and delight in being is infectious. I stopped what I was doing to glance in passing at the television when I heard all the hoopla on the Tamron Hall Show. Something in her face made me take a second look, and then Tamron mentioned the guest's name as she held up the book. It was the face on the cover of your book. Congrats! It had to have been a pleasure working with Ms Miller. Much sustained success for both of you. Am under the influence of pain meds so I do hope what I'm trying to say makes sense.

    Hurting in Texas but not allowing joy to get me down. : )

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Lord, woman. You are beautiful. That's just all there is to it. I am SO glad the trip was so spectacular and as I may have said before- I am not surprised that your last book ended up in the NYT's best seller list but I am thrilled! For both you AND Michelle. How amazing is that? How does it FEEL?
    One more thing- please feel free to post pictures of your nephew whenever you want. I mean that in the most non-creepy way, I assure you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so loved reading this... all the joy and excitement! What a wonderful thing to be on the NY Times Bestseller list. Such acknowledgement. You are truly beautiful and definitely awesome in every way. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete


  10. The comment I just wrote disappeared. Instead of trying to reconstruct, I'll just say Yaaayyy!! about the success of the book and that your pain is back to baseline. A joy to see the photo of you and the photo of your nephew. Will be reading Belonging as soon as our library has a copy. Any day now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on making the New York Times list! I'm sorry about the constant pain and I'm glad you were able to still go on the trip and enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How splendid for both of you. And the lipstick rocks. Love it. I was a wife at a convention in Washington, many years ago now, and we got a White House tour. I loved it - the history, the ambiance, all that. As a Canadian, we have a different vibe to our country's leader - the ceremony and management are split between the Governor General (representing the king) and the Prime Minister and cabinet. And neither has an historic house, as such, although the Gov Gen's grounds are lovely and open to the public. If you noticed, President Biden was met by the Gov Gen, as head of state, and then by the PM. All I can say about our system is that it works. It can confuse the heck out of newbies studying for their citizenship exams.
    I hope your tour continues to go well and that your back is healing well also.
    Your nephew is drop dead gorgeous, but I would have liked to have seen the big hair, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Life in one post: the pain and the Glory! Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's terrific news! I have a hold on the book at my library (there's a waitlist!) and am looking forward to reading it. I love how Michelle gave you props at the end of her interview!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad your trip went well. The lipstick and your "carnival top" look amazing together! And congrats on the NYT best-seller list! Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I'm one who never comments, but always reads, so here goes. You so deserve this, every beautiful moment. While I'm at it, thank you for the wisdom and compassion you give us here. It's much appreciated. MaryK

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful and exciting! Congratulations to you both. Well deserved. and your nephew is quite handsome, all the best of those mixed genes coming out. that picture of you, what gorgeous skin.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are gorgeous - lipstick choice was grand. Congratulations to you and Michelle! Excellent team, excellent talent, excellent time in life - the now. And I hope your pain continues to be controllable. I don't have pain but an MS-induced gait and rollator now, so I completely understand the not wanting to "derail the party." We power through or miss out on the fun. Best to you; I appreciate your wisdom and spirit of love. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete