Thursday, March 9, 2023

Toni Forever


"It started that way: laughing children, dancing men, crying women and then it got mixed up. Women stopped crying and danced; men sat down and cried; children danced, women laughed, children cried until, exhausted and riven, all and each lay about the Clearing damp and gasping for breath. In the silence that followed, Baby Suggs, holy, offered up to them her great big heart." —Toni Morrison, Beloved
 
__________
 
God, how she wrote. The way she made words shimmer. I imagine Toni as Baby Suggs in that forever place, holy with her great big heart, the patron saint of questing writers. "You want to be a writer, so write," she said to me the summer I was her college intern at Knopf. A link to my recollections of that summer, which I wrote as a tribute on the occasion of her dying, is here. And now the great Toni Morrison has posthumously been honored with her own Forever stamp. How cool is that?
 
 

12 comments:

  1. I have to be careful what I read. Some writers move into where I live, shove everything aside and park themselves. Toni is one that has done that and sometimes I regret having read something by her because I am forever changed, not being ready, I have to spend a lot of time in between Toni's sentences- not a light afternoon read. Her books should come with warning.
    "Beloved" undid me. Toni's mastery of choosing the most effective words and cadence, effortlessly, offering it like a sweet, delivering beating bloody heart up on a perfect platter pierced through and through with human cruelty - loved back to life through her understanding, observatory excellence. We love Toni, her work, her stamp. So lucky to have been born in the time of Toni, I am a better person having read her! But I do wish I had been warned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful tribute in all ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed! Forever. Beloved. With us always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so glad to see she's getting a stamp. Well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, beloved forever, a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so cool that she's getting a stamp. Next maybe we could have a woman on the money.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Synchronicity. I'm reading Michelle Obama's book, The Light We Carry, and just arrived at a page where she mentions being inspired by Toni Morrison.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful experience for you! You have led an exciting life, Rosemarie!
    I am glad that she is being honored with a stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So excellent she’s being honored this way. Your tribute was lovely.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know nothing about her but as a woman I applaud her success and her stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I already received mine in the mail. I also bought some nerdy commemorative packet thingamajig! And I still can't get over that you were her intern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful post and I am ordering some stamps as I write.

    ReplyDelete