Sunday, December 18, 2022

'Twas festive and the tree was trimmed











"Where's the Fireboy?" my cousin Andrew wanted to know after I posted this album on Instagram. Earlier this week as we trimmed the tree and decorated holiday cookies and sipped mulled cider, Fireboy was working a 24-hour shift, during which multiple fire houses were battling a massive and decidely suspicious fire at the police evidence warehouse in Brooklyn. Some firefighters were injured, thankfully none of them critically. My boy wasn't actually working the fire, as he's currently assigned to the department's press office as he waits to be medically released back to active duty following his knee surgery. He's fine, actually, but the department wants to be very sure that when next he climbs into a fire, that knee is fully healed and supportive. I appreciate that. In the meantime, he jokes that he's getting a small taste of his mama's profession. I remember when he used to come to work with me when he was a kid, and I was an editor at a women's magazine. All he saw were people sitting at desks tapping away at keyboards, and it bored him silly. That's when he knew he needed a more active vocation. On some level, he had already chosen his path.

My new choir held its holiday concert yesterday, and as I always say, we made a joyful noise. There are many more of us in this choir than in my last one, mostly retirees who can meet up on a weekday afternoon. I loved all the musical selections, including a haunting Hanukkah piece "Ose Shalom," a joyful Paul Laurence Dunbar composition "Ring Out," and the always rousing "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah. I thoroughly enjoyed the singing season with this new group, with rehearsals held in a church walking distance from my home. My friend Lisa is an alto with me (it was she who recruited me to join), and we have now made friends among the choral members, some of who regularly invite us for coffee after rehearsals. And yet, during yesterday's concert, I found myself fondly remembering the quirky crew from my last choir, and really understanding in a new way how our former choral director worked with us to make sure that all our entrances were strong and in unison, our enunciation clear, our rhythms cohesive, and our sound on pitch. We really sang well for such an amateur choir, even with our famous weak links—I count myself among them—and I am appreciating our efforts so much more in retrospect. 

My husband and some other friends attended yesterday, and we went out for hot soup afterward. As two of our number were very worried about the rising rates of Covid and other respiratory viruses in the city, we sat outdoors, but the temperatures were definitely frigid, and even with the heating lamps suspended above our table, I was chilled to the bone. How I relished the warmth of my home last night, the man and I each sipping a perfect pour of wine from our Vinebox advent calendar, given to us for Christmas by our son-in-law-to-be.

My girl and her love happened to be in Mexico this weekend, attending the wedding of two Indian friends. It involved four days of celebrations, and guests were asked to wear traditional Indian attire for two of the events, a style of dress I personally find to be very beautiful, with its vivid jewel tones and elegantly flowing garments.

Our girl sent me that photo from last night. Don't they look lovely? This is the, count 'em, seventh wedding our newly engaged couple has attended this year, including the wedding in September of my own son and his lovely bride. I guess people are making up for the two years lost to Covid, when so many nuptials were postponed. Or maybe my girl and her love are just in that time of life when their age cohorts who have a mind to marry are tying the knot. Even so, seven weddings in one year is a lot of weddings, and all I have to say about that is—Ain’t love grand?


20 comments:

  1. I love these family photos. You all look so beautiful and happy and ready for the celebration of Christmas. Yes, love is truly grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, I think this tree trimming thing with our kids and their loves might be a new tradition we are starting. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. They are lovely. Actually, everyone in the photos is lovely. Seven is a lot of weddings, love is grand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, thinking about it again, I think it might have been six weddings, but even that is a lot! Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! The traditional tree makes me happy. I love it! I also love "Fireboy." That made me smile. You all look so happy and I hope you are. I wish I could have heard your choir. I know that would have lifted my spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. Moon, I kind of loved Fireboy too! Funny that no one has ever called him that before, but I think it slipped into my heart.

      Delete
  4. Seven Weddings! They look lovely. All of them. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, thank you, friend! Merry Christmas to you and your big beautiful family, too!

      Delete
  5. What beautiful photos. Seven weddings is a lot of weddings and expensive too. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, you're not kidding, it's expensive to attend so many weddings, with travel and accommodations and such. And my girl was actually in the wedding party for a couple of them, which is very expensive as well. I told her she has a heart that inspires others to choose her, and now she has to pay. It was funny at the time; I guess you had to be there.

      Delete
  6. Seven weddings IS a lot! I read about that fire -- very peculiar indeed. Love the photos! The tree and all the participants look decidedly festive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, my conspiracy theorist mind was going a mile a minute pondering that fire! Can you imagine all the cases that have now been ruined? And yes, our tree trimming was indeed lively!

      Delete
  7. That looks like such fun and the tree turned out so pretty! That is the size of my tree and we always try to fit every special ornament on as many bring back happy memories. Hope your holidays are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, we have graduated to table top trees these days, no more those massive punch a hole in the ceiling affairs. And like you we certainly piled on the ornaments, because why not? Happiness to you for the season!

      Delete
  8. I think I'd be weddinged out. Seven in one year. I'm curious if the Indian couple provided the appropriate clothing for the required dress events to those attendees who don't wear such or if your girl and her intended had to provide them themselves. Seems a lot to ask for guests to purchase clothes they won't wear again (probably).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ellen, the guests provided their own traditional clothing, I suppose out of love for the couple. It wasn't prohibitively expensive, fortunately, and my girl did say she could have chosen to wear western attire to those events, and would not have been shunned. She saw it as something of an adventure to be invited to participate in her friends' culture and traditions, though, with no need to wonder about crossing the line into appropriation. It was big fun, she said, but you're right, unless she and her love attend another Indian wedding, they will likely never wear those garments again.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing all this joy and love. Yes indeed! Love is grand! Wish I could have heard your choir's concert. Love Fireboy's comment that he's getting a small taste of your profession while his knee heals fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am, the concert was fun for sure. Singing does make me happy, though I cannot say I have any sort of a special voice, only that I can carry at tune and know when to go silent and merely mouth the words if they fall what I call my squeak range. My husband, who knows my voice, is rather amazing at my courage (or maybe my gall) in going out for choirs, lol.

      Delete
  10. A fine festive tree! and fine and lovely faces in Santa mode. The sheer beauty of your younger generation (including fireboy, sorry there!) is amazing. And I love the Indian dress photo too. A clever way to celebrate tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary G, my daughter and her love do enjoy Santa mode! They are well matched, the two of them unironically donning Santa hats throughout the season! They sure do bring the joy.

      Delete