Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Thank you Mr. B.


Thank you Harry Belafonte for the way you used your life to secure the rights and dignity of others, and more personally for contributing the forward to "We Are Not Here To Be Bystanders," the book I had the honor of co-writing with Linda Sarsour. Thank you for seeing her greatness and lifting her up when others were trying to tear her down. Also, this Jamaican brother, who was in elementary school with my Aunt Maisy, stayed fine till the end, it has to be said. Aunt Maisy told us he was a little troublemaker who their teacher declared would amount to nothing. He didn't listen. Thank God for the troublemakers. Rise in power and peace, Mr. B. You inspired us all.



11 comments:

  1. Well said, he was a true giant of a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to hear those little personal stories about him. And yes he did remain fine unto the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasn't he something? A beautiful man in all ways. I saw that he had passed this morning and although it saddened me, I was glad to see that he had attained a ripe old age for his full, fine life.

    ReplyDelete

  4. What an amazing person he was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His music was a part of my life when I was growing up. My parents had his albums and we listened so often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hero! I love how his teacher thought he would amount to nothing. Sometimes the traits that make kids difficult are the same ones that serve them well as adults. (And sometimes not!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's hard to imagine him as a troublemaker, he was so classy as an adult. Another icon gone - but not forgotten. How wonderful to have had his contribution to your book, and the connection it made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen to Thank God for the Troublemakers. The trouble he made had results. Now for more results. Our CBC radio is playing 'Island in the Sun" over and over. I wish they would put some of his other wonderful offerings on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sad loss for the world...

    ReplyDelete