Monday, May 1, 2023

Spring concert

Our choir performed its spring concert yesterday, while outside a monsoon was pouring from the sky. The show was nevertheless well attended. I supposed when you have a 50 person choir if everyone invites just one or two people, you're golden. I had four people in attendance, including my husband and my daughter and her love. My neighbor and friend Jane also came, but had left by the time we got it together afterward to take this picture. 

The three of us on the right are in the choir, you'll see us in the alto section on the right in the class photo up top. We sang with masks all year, and that photo was the first time many of us were seeing each other's full faces. It was quite a moment, especially as we had become good friends with many masked faces, and now were having to get acquainted anew. Starting in the fall term, the mask mandate will be lifted and we'll sing unencumbered again. We still sounded quite good, and the musical selections, including "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "I See the Light" from the movie Tangled, and my favorite, a haunting love song titled "My Very Own," were all well received.

This is a different choir from the one I used to sing in. It's conveniently close to home and meets at 1:30 PM on a Wednesday, which I find I prefer to evening rehearsals. It’s a nice social interlude in the middle of my work day, which is relentlessly solitary now that my man is back at work five days. I also like that my two friends and I who joined the choral group together helped bring some color to the room. It wasn't a big deal. Everyone is lovely, and I think they were happy to have a bit more diversity too. I do miss the quirky bunch from my old choir, but I also really enjoy this group as well. Most of them are retired, which is why they can be at rehearsals in the middle of a weekday. Fortunately, I work remotely and can set my own schedule. 

And now, it's back to the salt mines for me. Apologies for these random snippets of posts. There's so much I want to share about what's happening in our world (like, a man on trial for rape is running for president on the Republican ticket), but I need to keep my head down right now. My friend who also does this collaborative writing work calls it being "in the tunnel." That's where you'll find me these days. But I see a glowing pinprick of daylight ahead.



9 comments:

  1. Your life is so full of song, love and the riches of good friendships. It's wonderful to read what is happening there.
    It's interesting to be in public places these days and notice that almost everyone is unmasked. We're still masking when we go to the store or in a waiting room at a doctor's office. It really is starting to feel safe out there.
    Hope all goes well with all of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Lady! It delights me so that you get to sing with others to create that magic which is the joining of human voices. It is an elevation of the spirit.
    I am sending you all the good thoughts for your very important work. Your voice soars in many different ways.
    Also, you are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing for Spring is the thing to do and I am sure you all did sing well! "This merry merry month of May"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on the spring concert. It is so cool that you can do that, I am classically unable to carry a tune. That's a great picture of you and the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what fun! I'm sure it was an enjoyable concert. they started a choir here in this small town that I thought I might maybe join though my range is very narrow. one of the other volunteers at SHARE is in it but they meet to rehearse at 7 PM on a Tuesday night. bad day and time for me for several reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bet you had the audience in tears with those beautiful songs!
    Best of luck with your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is to glowing pin pricks of light, we need them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your and yours looks really happy in the photo. I was in school choir, that's as far as I went. The sound must be amazing with such a large group.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spotted you in the front row, third from the right, right? Because of your hair, truthfully. I love it that you sing, and would like to ask you what is your voice and how you have managed to keep singing. Many Canadian children's choirs, but far far fewer adult groups. Sad, to let it lapse. My YD was a beautiful alto as a girl and teen and her voice is still lovely, but she has no group she can manage to joion.

    ReplyDelete