Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Something of value

How I love this son of mine. His darling wife took the photo and texted it to me. My boy is very upset with me for not having asked him to accompany me to the Apple Store to buy my new laptop. He believes he could have guided me to a choice that would have met my needs for significantly less than I spent. He is also chagrined that I did not ask my niece's husband Grant, who is an exec at Apple, to apply his lovely discount on my behalf. "What were you thinking?" my son wanted to know. "I was thinking that Grant is a new dad and he's busy with little Harper right now," I said. "He only had to tap a few buttons on his phone!" my son exclaimed.

Indeed, when my niece Leisa read my last post and learned that I had bought a new laptop, she FaceTimed me at once. "Why didn't you call us?" she wailed. She and Grant, who was sitting next to her on their couch in Dallas, agreed with my son that I spent more than I had to. Grant was already busy tapping said buttons on his phone. "Okay," he said, "I've reserved the MacBook Air for you if you want to exchange the MacBook Pro you got. You have ten days to decide." He said that once I paid, he could get the Air delivered to my door that very day, and that I wouldn't need to return the Pro till I had safely migrated all my data to the Air, at which point I could reset the Pro to factory settings and get a full refund. 

They all say I bought more processing power than I will ever need, and they are probably right. I did the same thing with my last laptop, despite my son telling me I didn't need that much memory, and so on. But you know, that laptop ended up giving me ten good years, so no regrets there. The way I see it, this is my work, and I'd like to know I don't have to worry about maxing out on storage or lethargic processing speeds or batteries overheating or anything else. 

Apparently I can make whole movies on the machine I bought. "I just might do that, then," I joked to my concerned young people, who were still lamenting the savings I was failing to realize. "Apart from the money, is there any reason for me not to keep the Pro," I asked them. No, none at all, they all said. It's a fantastic machine. 

Later, I asked my husband what he thought, whether I should consider switching to the cheaper but still excellent laptop. "Well, the kids all want to feel as if they can contribute something of value to you," he said, "and that's why they're all so insistent." I told him his was a more compelling argument for changing than the one about me saving money. "That's because I know you," he shrugged. "I know that once they swipe that card you almost superstitiously refuse to care that the money is gone." He has often rolled his eyes at this attitude of mine, so he didn't bother this time.

The upshot: I have decided not to make a change. All my data is already successfully migrated to the new machine, everything is working fine, and maybe this bad boy will last me another ten years. But at least I now understand to thank the kids for their loving concern, and let them know how much I appreciate them looking out for me.


10 comments:

  1. Your husband is a wise man but I'm with you, once the money is spent, I couldn't be bothered to do all of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made a good decision. What's done is done. I might be concerned if you'd bought a cheaper one and your kids wanted you to get one that's more powerful -- in other words, the reverse of your situation -- but how can it be bad to have a computer with TOO MUCH processing power and memory?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sound a lot like me. LOL. My BigMac came home with me in 2015 and it's still going strong. I paid . . . I still have every Mac product I've owned. They're on display in my studio. Don't ask why.

    It's funny how no one warns me or tells me how they could save me big bucks until it's too late. It was the same with my iPad and iPhone amid questions of why I have so many Mac tools. I tell them I'm a graphic designer and they just hush and leave me be because they don't know what a GD does. LOL. I tried to buy a new Mac Book Pro last week until I choked on the price (almost 3k). I don't need that much power these days because blogging is pretty much all I do creatively, aside from drawing. But right on to you, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made the right decision. Hell- you MIGHT want to make an entire movie! Or...something. They are so sweet but honestly, this reminds me of what my dear friend Anne-Helene used to say which was, "The best will have to do."

    ReplyDelete
  5. The younger generations march to a different drum. They know so much more about what I, anyway, know about the hardware and the technology, and they feel bound to advise and contribute, since they know they know more. I had the twelve year old grandson of a neighbour fix a glitch in my iPad. I was grateful, but it was funny. He was gobsmacked that I did not know what he knew.
    And yes, I want a lot of memory. And processing. And time to figure it all out. Yeah.
    Your son is beautiful. Both inside and out. And, just a note from your last post, I love the colour your hair was there. Distinguished and a bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you made the right decision. When it's a tool for your job, it's better to have more of everything than not enough. Here's to ten years with the new one (knock on wood) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so loving and lovely that your kids want to be supportive and help with these decisions, but you know what you want and you got it. Sounds like a good choice given the work you do. Hope all is goes well with the work and the new laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Steve, you can never have enough storage or processing speed. Our laptops probably are over capacitized for what we do, but I like having a bunch of hard drive for photos.
    That's a great picture of your son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well your post does make me feel better about the macbook air that I got last year. I wished that I could have afforded the pro and keep thinking I should soon trade it up but maybe I should just calm down and be happy with what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the new laptop. I always had MacBook Pros until my last purchase a couple years ago. A new one was due out but unavailable and I needed a compouter pronto, so the Air it was and so far it's serving me well in my editing work and for my photo and music storage. Hope your MacBook Pro lives long and helps you prosper; I'm sure it will. It's a workhorse. (Though I know it's common in the work world, the discounts that some are entitled to but others are not kind of bugs me; am I alone in that? Maybe I'm just jealous as that's not been part of my life path.) Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete