Thursday, June 1, 2023

Manhattanhenge 2023







The man, my niece and I went down to Seventy-ninth Street to catch Manhattanhenge on Tuesday night. I sent the pictures to my niece's mom in Jamaica, who was rather confused. "It looks like something from the apocalypse," she texted me back. "Or Day of the Walking Dead." In fact, it's one of those moments when New Yorkers pour out of their homes to participate in something simple and shared, a sunset perfectly aligned with the East-West grid of Manhattan's streets, and everyone is just taking it in, many with cameras raised in a kind of ritual salute, and for a moment, the city feels like a community. An interesting note, the windows of my husband's department in the newly built wing at the natural history museum where he is an ichthyologist look directly down this street, as if purposely angled for optimal viewing of this annual celestial event. The geek in me finds that incredibly cool. I think he was kind of stoked when he realized it, too.


10 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I love that your husband's office has a front row view of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this, pretty cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that we humans still find such celestial convergences magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos. I so wish I had known about Manhattanhenge when I was growing up in New Jersey. I would have loved seeing this view. Thank you for taking these wonderful photos. I love that so many people come out for this special moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm SO stoked by this too. People can be so curiously wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny -- when I first moved to NYC in 2000 I don't remember this being such a "thing." I think the Times wrote about it one year, but it's only with the growth of social media and digital photography that it's really taken off, I think. How cool that's your husband's view!

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cool. is it just one evening that it lines up? it looks like it might for two at least.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Company) covered this event. We heard it described on radio and were interested. And you have given us pictures. We are thrilled and very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amused to comment that my daughter in Brussells posted a photo of a very similar red sun hanging between two rows of tall buildings. She was, sadly, at the side of the road, and so it is not perfect. But also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete