Monday, April 8, 2024

Eclipses and Earthquakes


We're having a near total eclipse of the sun today, which is supposed to peak at 3:25 PM. This on the heels of last Friday's earthquake at ten-twenty-five in the morning. At 4.8 on the Richter scale, the quake caused a couple of cracks to open up near the ceiling in my house. It felt like a subway train was rumbling by under the building, and my house guest and I, who were both working in the living room, looked at each other as if to say, are you feeling what I'm feeling? Soon everyone was texting everyone else, confirming our shared reality. And then, this being New York City, it was business as usual after that, even with the aftershock at six that evening, which I barely felt.

I've been busier than you'd imagine with all the housekeeping stages of getting the book ready for publication. The last two weeks have been absorbed by my editing gig for the magazine and responding to the copy editor's queries on the book, an endless process because, with great respect, she explained every single change she made in a margin note, which then required a response from me and/or my subject okaying her change, or asking that she stet (keep) what was originally written, or pointing out the alternate edit we decided to make to address the question raised. I've never before had a subject who was so with me in the trenches at every step.

It helps that we have a similar working styles, are similarly obsessive, so I understand what she's doing when she contemplates whether a subordinate part of a sentence should be set off with a comma or an em-dash, or whether a noun should take the article "the" or "a." She cares about these things as only one other writer I have ever worked with cared about them —Isabel Wilkerson, the Pulitzer Prize-winning author of The Warmth of Other Suns and Caste, who is the subject of the amazing and profound Ava DuVernay film, Origin, currently in theaters and streaming.

I edited Isabel when I was a magazine editor; I loved working with her because not only was she a brilliant and nuanced observer of the human condition, but she also cared so much about every word and punctuation choice. Well, I've found another such soul. Occasionally, I don't agree with a change she wants to make, but most of those times, I just take the change, rather than debate it with her, because I know she has thought about it deeply, and that she's hearing the rhythm of each and every sentence in her head. Other times, we have lively conversations about why an edit maybe shouldn't be made, and I prevail in those engagements maybe half the time. It's her story. She gets the last word. I just feel gratified I got to take this journey with her.

I'm heading over to my friend's house now to watch the eclipse from her balcony. She has the requisite glasses, and an unobstructed view of the sky. Maybe I'll get a picture worth sharing. See you on the other side.

 

12 comments:

  1. I've put a hold on Isabel Wilkerson's book, Caste and look forward to reading it. Enjoy your eclipse:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work sounds so inspired and amazing.
    Many years ago we decided against a job in Tokyo due to possible earthquakes I've since experienced three earthquakes comparable to yours in this German river valley and my daughter and her family are living in one of the most active earthquake zones on earth with several big ones under their belt.
    Hope the sky watching brings you joy after the earth moved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isabel Wilerson! Wow what a writer, LOVE her work so much. "Caste" should be recommended reading for everyone living in this country. Very important work.
    Don't go mad under the darkened sky in the middle of the day...Has been known to happen. It has just been dark all day up here, cold and rainy...dark.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earthquake, eclipse and editing! I grew up near San Francisco and experienced numerous small earthquakes from childhood until I was 24 years old. Was not living there for the major earthquake in 1989 but was traveling to San Francisco as the earthquake hit. Drove myself to Oregon to see the total eclipse in 2017. A life-changing experience.

    As always I look forward to reading your most recent collaboration. Thank you so much for the behind the scenes glimpses into the process involved in writing and having a book published.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was weird to be here, bright sunshine and knowing the eclipse was a full as it would get here. A neighbor had glasses, so we saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some profound stuff going on there! Plus all the family things- no gentle, quiet spring for you. I can't wait to see this latest book in print. This whole process is far deeper than anyone on the outside can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read Caste and thought it was so moving and profound. Thanks for explaining your work process as that sounds so interesting. I can't wait for the book to come out.
    I got to watch the eclipse with my neighbors and we had such a pleasant visit while watching the wonder of it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so surprised when I read of the earthquake happening there. I grew up in New Jersey and an earthquake never crossed my mind. In 1971 the year after my family and I moved to California, we experienced a 6.6 earthquake at 6:00 in the morning. My mother came into our bedroom and said, "I think this is an earthquake, and I don't know what we're supposed to do." We all ran outside.
    I hope all goes well with the editing. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would imagine that being a co-author telling someone else's story means you default to that person's editing choices more often than you might if it were your own article. I could understand that. I LOVE Isabel Wilkerson. She's one of my writing heroes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely that you are working with someone who cares so deeply about what you also love and cherish. There is nothing better. Nothing. And I am glad to hear that you got by with a few cracks. When I heard about the quake, I thought about you and worried.
    We had cloud. Drat and other expletives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. earthquake, eclipse, next according to Marge's boyfriend is locusts attacking mankind. I'm glad you got a good view of the eclipse. it was so overcast here I didn't bother to look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it when creatives describe the process. Thank you. Also, looking forward to seeing the film and then likely reading the book. I've experienced two earthquakes (mild) and one total solar eclipse (age 12). Collective experiences can be so powerful.

    ReplyDelete