Thursday, August 27, 2026

Just another Rent-head

Choir began again yesterday. I woke up almost unreasonably excited to be going back, having missed the spring term because of my hip surgery. It felt like the first day of school. My anticipation was probably stoked by any number of things, including a need I've been feeling to add some scheduled activities to my week, and too, when chorus is in session, I have a standing Wednesday afternoon date with my choir buddy Lisa. But my excitement was also because we will be singing "Seasons of Love" from the Broadway musical Rent this term, one of my all time favorite show tunes. My daughter and I are big Rent-heads. We saw the show live when she was a teen, and watched the movie version with our cousins over several Thanksgivings, singing and dancing along to the songs in our distinctly not-spacious living room, falling over one another as we jumped about with wildly exuberant choreography. So my girl is almost as excited as I am about the inclusion of this piece in our fall repertoire. Also, not gonna lie, it was great to walk into the choir room with no penguin gait, to walk in there strong and greet all the regulars and have people notice enough to remark on how easily I moved. They said I was glowing. I honestly think I project a different energy now that I'm not in constant, debilitating pain. I sometimes see people who move the way I used to move, with that telltale dip to one side, the grimace pulled in before it can surface, their spirits braced, their auras raincloud gray with the continual labor of just keeping on. I just want to hold and soothe them and deliver them to my surgeon so he can make them whole. I still can't believe I spent so many years in that state of painfully impaired mobility when there was not just an alternative, but an actual cure. I still have arthritic pains here and there throughout my body some days, nothing unbearable really, and not constant and piercing the way the hip joint was. But now, the one place in my body that never hurts is that left hip. I'm starting to sound like an evangelist. I see why the surgery is called life-changing. Anyway, it was good to be back in the choir room, seeing all my fellow oldsters, starting to learn new music, a human collective making a joyful noise.
 

14 comments:

  1. Amazing. Honestly, truly amazing. Oh, the miracle of sometimes doing something for ourselves that truly changes our very essence. I love this.
    And you will be dancing around again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your joyful noise is coming from within! Happy to hear this had made such a difference (I know the feeling).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful to hear! Somehow I missed exactly what surgical procedure you had done. A hip replacement? I have a feeling that I will have to have one in future due to severe scoliosis and throwing my weight onto my left hip/knee. It truly is wonderful to hear what a difference this has made in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The magic of medical science served you well and I could not be happier for you. You describe the surgery as truly life changing.
    Your choir group sounds wonderful and I agree singing is restorative on many levels.
    Also, like you, I've seen Rent multiple times and it never disappoints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that your surgery was a success and so life-changing for you. I hope you have a wonderful time at choir!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that song and haven't heard it in years. It gives me goosebumps.

    I'm so glad your hip and your walk are so much better. It must be so liberating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I remember you writing about you and your daughter's shared enthusiasm for "Rent." How great that you're going to sing that song! And I'm so glad to hear the hip surgery has made such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think singing in a choir would be so much fun. One of the volunteers at SHARE just recently had a hip replacement and he's already walking easily with no support (walker or cane). I'm so glad to hear you sashayed into choir practice emitting your white light.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three cheers to the people who invented and finetuned hip replacement surgery! Ballroom dancing next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Singing is medicine for sure! My friend , though she could not carry a tune, was in a choir all her adult life. Many ailments and back pain she was at death's door many times but would not miss choir practice EVER. she lived to be 90.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just discovered your blog and it’s as if I have entered a wonderful library - thank you thank you thank you
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you dancing yet Rosemarie? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just thinking of you and hoping all is well with you and your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete