Monday, October 12, 2015

Note to self



“Avoid providing material for the drama that is always stretched tight between parents and children; it uses up much of the children’s strength and wastes the love of the elders, which acts and warms even if it doesn’t comprehend. Don’t ask for advice from them and don’t expect any understanding; but believe in a love that is being stored up for you like an inheritance, and have faith that in this love there is strength and blessing so large that you can travel as far as you wish without having to step outside it.” 

― Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet


5 comments:

  1. Yes. Perfectly and beautifully said. This has proven to be so true in my life. I always feel the love and protection of my family. I can never travel away from it and it is the truest and deepest blessing of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Rilke just absolutely never fails. I forget sometimes that despite me reading him backwards and forwards in my youth, his words have entirely different meaning and resonate even more so now that I'm an adult. Or trying to be one. Thank you for posting this, Angella!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, thank you for posting this, it is great advice. Parenting is a grand adventure, isn't it? Your children can believe in your love, that much is certain. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete