Wednesday, August 9, 2023

Of loss and love

It's been a difficult month for our family. Two of our children, the generation of nieces and nephews, have died this summer. My generation calls ourselves "The 28," because that's how many first cousins we are, born of the original nine Stiebel siblings, all of them gone now, the last of them, Aunt Grace, departing only months before Covid shut everything down. The 28 first cousins refer to all our offspring as our nieces and nephews, though technically they are cousins, too. I wrote about my niece and goddaughter Christine who died in a car accident on the way home to Yellowknife in the far north of Canada at the end of June. She was only 33, her radiant being snuffed out by a drunk driver. 

Sadly, toward the end of July, we lost another of her generation, my nephew Jamal, Aunt Winnie's grandson, who contacted Covid at the start of the pandemic and whose lungs just never fully recovered. He had Down Syndrome, his lungs compromised since he was a baby. I recall so many visits to the hospital back when I was in college, and we feared we would lose him. But his mom Angie moved the very heavens to stabilize him, and he far outlived the life expectancy doctors tried to place on his head. Then Covid snared him, ravaging his weakened lungs irrevocably. For the past two years he landed in the hospital every couple of months, and on his last visit, he left us. He would have turned 49 this coming Saturday. 

Yesterday, we gathered in Brooklyn to celebrate his life. My cousins from Virginia traveled to the city, and stayed over with me the last two nights. In addition to all the family members who assembled in person, many more of us watched the service on video, which is the way things are post-pandemic. We all shared memories of our cherished son, brother, nephew, cousin, and uncle, who in life couldn't express what he was feeling in words, yet spoke eloquently of his displeasure and joy nevertheless. My own most moving memory of Jamal is the way he simply and graciously allowed others to express love for him unconditionally, through taking care of him, though sharing a bowl of his favorite vanilla ice cream, through the rocking hugs he gave, through shooting basketball hoops with him in the driveway for hours, even in winter. 

It seemed to me that one of Jamal’s most selfless purposes on this earth was helping others to grow in love by being of service. Even those of us who did not serve him as directly as his mom Angie did, as his sister and grandparents and others did, were able to learn from what we observed. Jamal showed us the meaning of service, he taught us to seek and foster his joy, and he showed us that joy and service just might be the very definition of love. Yesterday there were tears, but there was also much laughter as we told stories of Jamal, and relished being with loved ones who hadn't gathered in this way since my son's wedding last fall. These are our reunions now, weddings and funerals, reminding me always of the great gift that is our family. 

The photo here is of my son and me with Aunt Winnie's other grandson, a soldier who has just returned from a year in Iraq, where he earned military decorations for alerting the base to an incoming attack one morning, thereby saving many lives. We've lost so many, but our stories continue.


16 comments:

  1. The ways your family experiences love and loss are moving, filled with grace. Sending love and condolences on the loss of two of your beloveds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. am, the flip side of a large and close family is that you also have to weather so many losses but I still choose the big close family any day. thank you for your kindness.

      Delete
  2. You are blessed to have such a close, extended family. I read the news article about your niece and goddaugther. I hope her partner is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pixie, isn't it insane and not a little bit sad that our lives should touch in this way. Her partner of 14 years is devastated, but hopefully the love that surrounds him will help pull him through.

      Delete
  3. Reading this makes me feel how much family can mean. I'm sorry for the loss of Jamal. There is much love in your family and your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra, even in our loss, i feel very blessed to be connected to these particular people I call family.

      Delete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss and for all those who loved these dear ones who are now gone. We hold our memories of those we loved so close to our hearts always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this and think of the woman I talked to on Monday whose biggest fear is that if she dies, there will be no one to take her cats. No family, no friends. How can this be? I can only imagine that her family of origin did not, could not love and that she never learned and never was able to trust. I don't know. But when I think of your family and its abundance of love and caring and trust, I know that this is exactly how it should be. And my own little bit of family- we have that too. We are the lucky ones. There will always be losses but if we have love, we are far better able to survive them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry about the passing of Jamal. Your large family does provide a cushion for you all, it's a wonder to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear of your losses. Here we lost a young person who was a high school friend of my younger daughter. They were only 48 and their partner is inconsolable.

    Here is the link you requested. Enjoy! It will make sense if you watch Young Royals first and if you can stand subtitles, do that. Most remarkably acted and written show.

    https://tvmicroscope.substack.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sad for both your losses. I'm also crying reading your beautiful words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry for your losses. Jamal sounds like a wonderful person. You always write so appreciatively of your family and the closeness all of you share -- it's a rare thing, as I'm sure you know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my condolences on losing two parts of your family. I think that is the lesson every down syndrome person teaches us. they seem to embody love itself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry for these losses in your family. I hope sharing memories of happier times with your family will bring your family comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  12. MaryG. I have a friend who's son, Down Syndrome, is an artist. His work is so speaking. It radiates the kind of love I hear your nephew had for all, of you. And that can never be lost.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry for yet another loss in your family circle. Your header always strikes me as the very essence of the meaning of life: "love is the what" ... and that's the only thing that keeps people going when things get rough.

    ReplyDelete