Sunday, December 31, 2023

High Kicks

This is my next puzzle. Isn't it a perfect New Year's Eve image? It was sent to me by a very dear friend. The fact that her fingers touched every piece in this box as she herself did the puzzle will make the process of putting it together myself that much more special—like a communion across miles. Thank you, my sister spirit. You knew I'd love this one.

And now it's the last day of the year and my whole family is either down with or emerging from Covid. My son seems to have had it the worst so far, but he just called and believes he's turned a corner, but now his love is coming down with it. "If she had to get sick I'm glad it was delayed," he said, "because she's been taking care and now at least I'm on the mend enough to take care of her." His bout was not mild. For three days he was miserable. He also had to go to Urgent Care to get a PCR test done, as the fire department requires it. This morning, when he went to headquarters to turn in the sick leave paperwork, he was in a line with about ten other firefighters, all of them also sick with Covid. 

A newspaper headline today read, "Everyone in New York City is sick with Covid." It's like that Omicron winter two years ago, except this strain, whatever it is, seems to kick your ass a bit harder. And it seems to rampage through any group of humans it comes in contact with, because what were the odds before this that my entire family would be down with Covid at the same time. My husband, who slept most of yesterday, keeps responding to "How are you feeling?" with a terse "I'm fine." He may well be, despite the bouts of coughing, because he's right now yelling at the refs for Arsenal-Fulham game on TV. I hope he never gets as sick as my son just described feeling.

The book. It's morphing. As we address the editor's comments, my subject and I, we happen across new stories worth telling, and so we are writing fresh pages and layering them into chapters, and I need to ensure the insertion of new material is effortless, and not janky. My subject goes back to work next week, and so our three week period of full engagement will necessarily end, but she's been a queen, giving me everything I need and then some to do my part. I worry the book is getting too long, too dense, but as my husband said, "She's had a big life, of course it will be dense." I need to make dense flow, however, make it accessible, not bogged down with too much detail, even though my subject has a very detailed mind.

Yesterday I caught myself rushing, trying to be the good student and get the thing done on a timeline that would be relieving to my subject, but the chapter I was in still felt unwieldy, and then I realized that I'm working with a lot of new material, first drafts of new pages, and I need to give them their due, weigh every sentence for purpose and pacing, make sure things hang together, and so I texted her that, to explain why I needed more time than I had promised, and she texted right back, "This makes perfect sense. And I'm grateful. Please take whatever time you need." Have I said yet that I adore her?

This does not in any way feel like New Year's Eve, and I'm just going with that. The year that is closing had a lot of hard moments, but I'm choosing not to tabulate them,  and to just lean into the impression that I was outrageously blessed as well. If we're lucky, the curtain on 2023 will find the man and me sound asleep. How's it going where you are? What are your plans for the turn of the year? 2024! Still sounds like science fiction to me.


12 comments:

  1. Oh, I was sorry to read that you all got Covid. We had it hear at the beginning of December. It hit my son harder than me as I had the most recent booster and he hadn't had a chance to have it yet. But we have mostly recovered, altho, no any tickle cough or tiredness we blame on Covid...
    Hope your New Year is filled with good health, happy adventures, and much love, Rosemarie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've all been sick this past week too, not covid, but some other bug. I've been sick more this past winter than I have been in years and it sucks:)

    Glad to hear your book is coming along, as always, I am in awe of your abilities.

    We're taking Jack to a small, outdoor celebration tonight, hot choclate, ice sculptures, etc, and fireworks at the very reasonable hour of 8pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize that puzzle!

    So sorry about the Covid. Some of my co-workers have had it recently and no doubt we'll get it again too, at some point. Life in the modern world!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise of you to let her know that you need more time and that so good of her to say, "Please take whatever time you need."

    Because I go to bed early and wake up at 2 a.m. on a regular basis, I'll likely be fast asleep at midnight tonight. Last year, though, I remember waking up just before midnight and going out on my porch to listen for the sounds of the New Year celebration. Just before midnight I heard the Trumpeter Swans trumpeting! I'll be getting together with friends at 7:30 a.m. on New Year's Day and taking a New Year's Day walk with my first cousin in the afternoon.

    This has been a hard year in so many ways for so many people throughout the world. I hope that I have learned some things that will tide me through the coming year physically, emotionally, and spiritually, and that I can be in any way someone who is part of the solutions rather than the problems in our tangled world. No easy answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My eyes teared up when I saw the puzzle at the top of the post. Yes! My hand did indeed touch every piece of it and perhaps August's little fingers touched a few too. And of course, my cats slept upon it at times. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. A very New Year's Eve puzzle, isn't it?
    Dang covid. I have GOT to get the latest vax. And I haven't gotten a flu shot yet either. Ugh. What is wrong with me?
    I don't think I've ever felt so unconcerned about the passing of one year into another. It's just Sunday today and will be Monday tomorrow and, oh yeah- a new year too.
    May you and all of your beloveds be well soon and know that we out here who love you are cheering you on with this book. I cannot WAIT to see it come out when we will all know who you've been working with so diligently all this time.
    Big love from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am baking, actually. Family dinner tomorrow to celebrate '24.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in bed before midnight, did not look out the window once when all the noise began well before midnight.

    Happy New Year. The book will come together because you are that good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You balance the demands of your creative working life well , particularly as I know that the energy of thinking time des not strike Monday to Friday 9 to 5. I was unwell I’ve the holiday period. Not Covid - physical manifestations of grief I believe . My first Christmas and New Year without my beloved husband Tony . I shan’t celebrate again
    Thank you for all the energy and knowledge you share with us in this blog
    Siobhan x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You describe life perfectly...as science fiction! Like you, I am blessed in many ways, especially, with home, family and friends. For this, I am grateful. That said, the illnesses floating around and constantly interrupting day-to-day life presents lots of turmoil and health risk/problems for many. Let's hope for a better 2024. Wishing you and yours all the best. I hope everybody is feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, so sorry this nasty strain of The Rona has hit New York and your Family so hard!!! I hope it doesn't migrate this way, even tho' we got our boosters, my last bout with it was too brutal to do on repeat. May Healing Energies be sent your way and everyone recover fully. Not a fun way to begin a brand New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You probably have JN.1. It's the new kid in town, I read somewhere that it's as contagious as measles, which is not good. By now, I truly hope that you're all feeling better, with no lasting effects.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you have recuperated. I hope 2024 holds no more nasty adventures for you.

    ReplyDelete