Thursday, January 4, 2018

Workday


We have family coming to town tomorrow. My brother and my niece are flying in from Jamaica, and my cousin and her husband and three grown boys are driving up from Virginia, all staying with us. They're coming to attend our Aunt Fay's funeral in New Jersey on Saturday, the eighth of the nine elder siblings to whom we must say goodbye. The weather isn't cooperating. The Northeast is experiencing something called a bomb cyclone of snowfall, a blizzard whipped by hurricane force winds. Several inches have already fallen on the city, and tomorrow, when the snow ends, is expected to be a deep freeze. I am working away, trying not to slip into the familiar anxiety that assails me whenever company’s coming. The house is clean, but cluttered from the holidays, and the Christmas tree is still up, though well past its prime. But the snow is pretty, especially from inside. 

8 comments:

  1. Your working space is so beautiful.
    Breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just what I thought when I saw the photo. So beautiful, inside an looking outside too.

      Delete
  2. Stay warm there and enjoy your family and company. Sounds like quite a cold spell and crazy weather there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you and they will be safe and warm and that the celebration of your Aunt Fay's life will be memorable. The house is fine and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this view, I love looking at winter and snow but I am always more than happy when it's over.

    Have a good visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing your family safe travels. Wishing you peace and ease.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like the thought of having company, either, but afterwards I always like the fact that I HAD company. I try to hold onto that thought. Enjoy, and soak in the love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your photos. I can't remember ever seeing one that didn't exude warmth and beauty. Not a one.

    Look deep into that mirror and those beautiful brown eyes and -- see -- who's looking back at you. Let her comfort you and drop your shoulders. That always helps me so much when I have anxiety. I hope it helps you too.

    ReplyDelete