Thursday, December 6, 2018

Construction


That was my view last week as I sat at my dining table every morning, editing the completed draft of my manuscript. I have now sent it off to my subject who is reading it and will then give me her changes. She says so far they are minor, which is a relief. And then on to the editor, and once she accepts what I've delivered, I can exhale. I have another project starting in the new year, a proposal followed by the book, assuming the proposal sells. And yesterday I learned that the magazine editing gig I picked up last summer has been extended to next summer. We have no formal arrangement. They hired me to edit one issue, asked if I could edit the next as well, and after that just continued sending me stories and paying me for the work. 

I held my breath hoping it would continue because it is a wonderful thing to have a regular paycheck, but knowing how short staffed and in transition magazines are right now, I didn't want to rock the boat by pushing for a contract. Instead I concentrated on making their lives easier through the work I do for them, and now they've extended the assignment. I hope all continues to go well, and that the assignment will be extended again next June. Editing magazine length pieces is the perfect complement to long form writing—a short burst sprint using completely different muscles from the marathon of crafting a book length work. Neither undermines the other. It's my dream set-up really. 

In other job front news, my son is now officially a New York City firefighter. He starts at the fire academy next week. He called two nights ago to announce that he had just completed his final shift as a paramedic. He has marched toward his ultimate calling like a solider, never taking his eye off the goal. And now he has fulfilled the dream he's held ever since he was nine years old, to be one of New York's Bravest. The journey isn't nearly over; there are still many challenges ahead, both physical and social, but I believe he will prevail through trials yet to come. He's anxious today, anticipating it all. This is how he's always been, anxious before the start, then a strong swimmer once he's actually in the water. Please pray for my boy. He's such a good and worthy soul. 

12 comments:

  1. These are wonderful news. Congratulations! I remember the time when I first found your blog whch was after you had lot your job and how despondent you were then. And now this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief it must be, knowing that your writing skills are being used so well for compensation! Not only a relief, but a confirmation that you are very much a respected professional and can get along free lance. Could you even have imagined this? Able to set your own hours, use your own space.
    As to your son- well. He has the work ethic which you and your husband have instilled in him and the heart to dream. I have no doubt that he will succeed in making that dream come true with that work ethic, with his intelligence and physical abilities. You must be so very proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to catch up on your news! All the best to your son. And I'm glad your work is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like you are in the catbird seat. yay for you. it is nice to have a regular income you can count on. never had one until we both started receiving SS. I'm sure all will go well with this book and the next one. and yay for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dynamic balance to your life is well-illustrated by the view from your dining room. It is heartening to read about your experience of finding balance in a changing world. Your photos speak to me as powerfully as does your writing.

    Sending much love to you and your son who has learned from you and your husband how to go forward with both heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I admit that I'm a tad envious at the work coming your way, even though I know you've worked your fanny off for it? It DOES sound like a dream job -- both the longer and shorter stuff coming at intervals. So great! And BRAVO to your son and the fulfillment of his childhood dream. He will be a rocking firefighter. And I wish him a safe career -- to old age and retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the work you do. In another lifetime and dream it's the work I would pursue. I love editing! I send your wonderful son the best good wishes for his new career. He has a big fan club cheering him on!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad work is moving forward -- what a relief! -- and your magazine editing skills are being continually put to use. Congrats to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratualtions on the extension of the editing job with the magazine, and a BIG congrautlations to your son!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Firemen rank up there with nurses and teachers. Congratulations and best wishes to your Son. Be safe out there. Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your writing and editing jobs are ideal for you, congrats on the editing job continuing and to your son for being successful in moving toward his goal.

    ReplyDelete