Sunday, August 25, 2019

The good life





The man and I went to dinner to celebrate being hitched 33 years ago, and were joined by our offspring and their loves, and our niece, our current "roomie." When our son moved back home after college and lived with us for three years before moving into his own apartment, he used to come home in the evenings and call out to us, "Hey, roomies! I'm home." Our dinner, my daughter joked, was a gathering of all the roomies, past and present; she noted that her boyfriend and my son's girlfriend spent enough time in our home when she and her brother were still living there, to qualify. Dinner was at a small, brick walled place on 5th Street in the East Village called Tuome, where every dish is delicately balanced and utterly delectable. The menu looks humble. The taste of the food is decidedly not. My daughter discovered their snow crab noodle in dashi butter through one of the events for her job, and she took me there two years ago. I wanted to go back there as a big group to celebrate. We did miss our Dallas contingent, but were treated to a video the newlyweds shared of them with their new Tesla, summoning the driverless car to them from the far end of a parking lot. Everyone hooted! There are many ways to live the good life. This dinner, right here, in this company, definitely qualifies.

11 comments:

  1. Can I just say that I could at these pictures for hours? And especially the face of your husband? Someone said the other day that he was "magnificent" in your wedding photos. He still is.
    What a splendid gathering. You are all so gorgeous. Everyone looks relaxed and happy. Happy anniversary! Happy life! That good life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations you magical woman. ❤️❤️❤️🎉

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and wishing you another 30 years. And then more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summoning a driverless car?!? When did that become possible?
    Your pictures make me want to spend time in NYC.
    Beautiful pictures of a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving and being loved. The world needs more of what illuminates these beautiful family portraits. Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the light coming out of all those faces is near blinding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lovely meal, and definitely great company :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah the celebration of love. So beautiful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this is such an awesome way to celebrate your milestone of 33 years. I had to laugh at the driverless car! Now I never thought that I would see the day. Actually I have never seen it yet but I know I will.
    What a great looking family you have. All of you are The Beautiful People.. I just love it..

    ReplyDelete