Thursday, December 26, 2019

Christmas after all

On Christmas eve, my husband climbed into bed sometime in the afternoon and just slept, a sure sign he was under the weather. He seldom lays himself down like that, but this time he listened to his body, and rested, because we would be traveling in three days, and he needed to be well. I confess I didn't mind the thought of staying in when he lifted his headachy head and said he didn't feel up to attending Christmas eve carol service, followed by our usual Christmas eve gathering at the home of two friends. Later that night, though, I missed the social connections. The usual cues were missing, I didn't feel Christmasy. The sadness crept in.


My daughter kept in touch from upstate, where she was spending Christmas with her boyfriend's family. She sent me this picture of her and her love in matching jammies with Nina, the dog they sit for every Christmas. That helped. Meanwhile my niece was at her new love's house, meeting his whole family for a holiday meal. Her happiness carried us through opening presents the next morning, and then I climbed back into bed, binge watching season three of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (loved it), and crying in between. I thought of my cousins in Jamaica, living through their first Christmas without Aunt Grace. It was reason enough to cry. I texted a dear friend, a soul to whom I could tell the whole truth of the dark place I was in. That let in some light.

My son was coming over later. As a newbie firefighter, he had to work the holiday. My niece's new boyfriend would also be joining us for dinner, as well as a young woman who is one of my heart daughters, and a gentleman friend of hers. My husband, bless him, was cooking the meal for us all, while my niece was baking a cake. No one was requiring anything of me, I had it easy, so why was I wallowing? I made myself get up and shower, and afterward, while playing Dvorak's cello concerto in B minor, performed by the incomparable Jacqueline du Pre, I began packing for our upcoming trip to Jamaica. The music and the activity lifted my spirits a bit, and then I heard my niece, who is a wonderful cellist, start playing Christmas music in her room. So I turned off my recorded music to listen to the live music in my house, and that lifted my spirits even more.

I went into her room to tell her how beautiful it was, and she offered to play me the theme music for Game of Thrones, which she had been wanting the score for, and which I gave her for Christmas. She might not know it, but those wailing chords pulled from her instrument finally melted the bubble of sadness around me.

My son came in soon after. He had caught a huge fire on 69th Street earlier in the day, his engine was the first on scene, and he and his fellow firefighters were inside that flaming top floor apartment, dousing the inferno. Thank God no one was seriously injured as they got the flames under control. He was exhausted but exhilarated when he got here, showing us the response video and pointing out exactly which window he was inside of, as bright orange fire licked out of it. They opened up a hole to the roof to vent it (if I'm getting it right), and that conflagration on the roof at about 6 minutes into the video is what he and some of his squad put out, while other members tackled the fire shooting through the front windows. You can see my son at 17:53 after the fire’s out and he’s exited the building. I have to not think too deeply about what a day at work is like for him. I told him he'd performed a great Christmas Day service in taming that flame.


Someone took this picture of some of the firefighters afterward. That's my brave boy, second from left. He hadn't eaten all day. The firefighters on duty were just putting lunch on the table at the firehouse when the call came in. And yet, after our boy greeted us all, picked at the baked honey ham and opened his Christmas gifts, he curled up on the couch under a blanket. Shall I make you a plate, I asked him. No, he said, I'm too tired to eat. And then he was asleep. There is something about my children sleeping under my roof that fills me with the utmost peace.





13 comments:

  1. of course. you know they are safe when sleeping under your roof. I used to hate this time of year since I finally rejected christian theology in my early 20s and it was impossible to avoid the total immersion this country engages in for a month or more. now, at this time of my life, I'm indifferent. I stay out of stores, enjoy the outdoor lights, and consider the day before, the day of, and the day after to be free days...nothing is expected of me. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the grocery store was not playing christmas music on the Saturday before when I pooped in to get my potato soup ingredients. I'm glad for you that your sadness gave way to enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this video with Page. Such bravery in your son. Love you love him.
    Hugs to you all.
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I made it through Christmas day without crying but today I can't stop crying. It amazes me what firefighters have to deal with at work and that's their job, going into buildings that other people are running out of. I'm glad he found a safe place to sleep.

    Have a wonderful trip, enjoy the sunshine and warmth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so identify with your ambivalence toward going out - it can be a wrench to get going and unexpected time at home can feel like a good thing, but . . . it doesn't feel as good as we expect because we're missing the celebration and socializing, and that can get surprisingly heavy on the heart. I'm glad you found some other cues to make the day feel right.

    Here we had both our mothers, both our children, and our daughter's family, including a three-year-old and an almost-five-year-old, and it was the busiest Christmas we've had since our own children were little. We were tired before and after, but energized in the moment!

    Your son has a job that is so important - life-saving and life-altering - and hard on the mom (and dad, too, I expect). But how lucky are those whose lives he touches every day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though there was much sadness, your Christmas day held riches, too. Of course you were thrown off by not being able to enjoy your usual rituals and not having your daughter there. I am so glad that you were able to enjoy the music your niece was playing. The cello is such an emotional instrument. It can convey such deep feelings.
    I honestly hope that you did not know that your son was fighting a fire while he was doing it. So much better to find out afterwards when he was truly safe and sound. How comfortable he must have felt being under his parent's roof, how easy he must have found it to sleep. He's such a beautiful soul. Your whole family is made up of beautiful souls. And of course you know that but even so, sometimes our own souls struggle. We may not even know exactly why. But they surely do. We are human. I guess that's reason enough.
    Holding YOUR hand...
    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a Christmas Day you had there. Your son fought a huge fire; your niece played the cello and baked the cake; your husband made the meal. The gifts of the heart were in all the things they did, wrapped in that amazing family love. The photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs to you. I understand the sadness about which you write. Your day was also graced with your uninjured son and your loved ones and a peacefulness that comes from home. I hope the New Year is a happy one and that you enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heroic, talented ,gorgeous, kind and loving family! You have done well.You are the best christmas gift ever

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firefighters are the bravest of the brave. Running towards a fire....
    One of my biggest regrets in life is my complete and total inability to play an instrument. I think I'll go look up the music for Game of Thrones, I may be the only person in the US who didn't watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow on this post. I am catching up here, reading your words and looking at your golden photos. I'm glad that Christmas is over. I can't wait to see your Jamaica photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your son is brave indeed! I can’t wait for your Jamaica pictures!
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. A holiday of ups and downs. I'm glad it ended on a better note than it began. That fire looks scary, but I guess all fires do! Have a wonderful trip to Jamaica and enjoy your family time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad that your son was safe. I feel the same way when mine are all sleeping under my roof. I feel like I can actually sleep right along with them.
    Be safe on your trip and I know that you will enjoy yourself to the max. I hope your dear husband is feeling better. xxx Beth

    ReplyDelete