Friday, February 21, 2020

Daddy


That's my dad holding the piece of hardware that made him a Sir. He's been so much on my heart this week. Some years, the anniversary of his death hits me harder than others. He was a brilliant man, a gifted jurist with a powerful work ethic, which was matched only by his devotion to family. His decisions made the most compelling reading. He felt that any non-legal person should be able to read his explanation of the law governing a decision, and grasp its full meaning. And his summaries of the facts of a case read like a story, something about the way he chose and deployed words. He was knighted in 1987 by the Queen of England for his work as Chief Justice of the Eastern Caribbean. He had joined their judiciary in 1979, after his retirement in Jamaica. Because he and my mom moved there, I met my husband in 1983. Daddy was also made a bencher at his old law school, Lincoln's Inn in London, which as I understand it, is akin to being admitted to their hall of fame. I was just looking up Lincoln's Inn so I could tell you its location, and discovered there's a wiki page for my dad, who knew? I've been whispering to him this morning, and also to my mom, these two people with as much life courage, kindness, and integrity as anyone I ever met. I've been asking them to help me finish this book well. I have fifty-five thousand words down; thirty thousand more to go. How blessed I've been in this life. When I really stop to take in how fortunate I am, how lucky I've been, it makes me cry. I've been crying a lot this week. So many feelings flooding through.

16 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute. Yes, anniversaries are different each year, depending on how you're doing in your own life. You relive a lot of history each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't seem to find the words to write here that actually convey all the emotions I feel reading this post. I went and read the Wiki page on your dad. I look at the photo, that Medal. What a deeply honorable human being he was. Lots of feelings, lots of tears.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A true and real picture for the history books. I've known bits and pieces about your father but this gathering of more facts has put his accomplishments into a sharper perspective and given me an even higher regard for him.
    I would say that I am sorry that you're crying this week but I'm not- sometimes tears are the holiest of water and crying the purest of emotional expression. The overflowing heart.
    I send you my love and how I wish I could hold you to me for a moment or two. We would both cry, I'm certain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo is stunning and contains so much information and reminds me why photography is one of my favorite art forms. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! A remarkable reflection about the life of a remarkable (and well-loved) man. I knew he was accomplished but I don't think I knew he'd been knighted! I'm off to read that wiki page...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awe-inspiring and lovely and also helps to explain your formidable writing talent!

    As Ms Moon said, tears are not necessarily a bad thing, springing as they do from deep emotions, including - perhaps especially - love. Hugs, my friend. I wish you well with the writing process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Dad was a very special man. My Dad was very special too, and was abused for being that way. Your post touched me because special people do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had good parents who were good people. You were blessed.

    Both of my parents died in February, my dad on the 14th and mum on the 20th.

    You look so much like your mom. Same beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. “There is a sacredness in tears. They are not a mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition and of unspeakable love.”

    ― Washington Irving.

    Bless you, and may your Daddy help you find the words to help you finish your book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such a beautiful, tender heart, the best legacy of loving parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was so moved by this post when I read it yesterday that I couldn't find words to comment. I came back this morning, just to tell you I can feel your dad's nobility of character and your love for him and for your mom just shines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a lovely, wonderful tribute to your Dad, Rosemarie. What a life. I know exactly what you mean about the anniversary of his passing being harder than others. My own dad has been gone 35 years as of Thursday. The loss is still palpable, each day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your family photo speaks eloquently of your father's strength and humility. As with so many of the photos of your family, the love you share is unmistakable. They are always with you and you with them. You are carrying on your father's tradition of writing compellingly. Tears of gratitude overflowing. Thank you for sharing your father in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just so lovely and how wonderful of his accomplishments. I am going to read every work in that link. I bet that I will cry because I will feel so proud to have met your dad thru you!
    Don't worry about the tears Rosemarie. They are a reflection of the love that you have for your dad.
    Your father instilled a lot of great qualities in you so let those tears flow and then hold your head high and know in your heart that you were Blessed to have this man as your father...
    Lots of Love and Light and Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete