Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Black girl magic!

I find myself at a loss for words to truly describe how I'm feeling, the hope and the release, mixed with the muscle memory of anxiety and outrage at the continuing antics of the party of Trump. I no longer want to waste energy railing at the cruelty and corruption of this outgoing administration, their refusal to admit they lost. I'm aware there's a mountain of havoc they can wreak before the new president is inaugurated on January 20, 2021, but I have also come to believe that Joe Biden is really the perfect man for this moment, a decent human being who is deeply experienced in what will be required once he takes office, and who somehow manages to keep his cool in the meantime. I'm really ready for the whole Republican mass delusion about election fraud to occupy less of my psychic energy so I won't even go into the ridiculous spectacle of Rudy (tuck-your-shirt-in) Giuliani, Trump's demented lawyer giving his big bad press conference from the parking lot of Four Seasons Total Landscaping store in Philly, wedged between a sex shop and a crematorium. Some idiot thought they'd booked the Four Seasons hotel. Of course that seedy back lot was far more on brand, but I can't even muster the sense of irony to care. Here's a sweet story instead. When Vice President-elect Kamala Harris's grand nieces learned that Aunty Kamela had won, the older one yelled, "Black girls can be president!!!" Like it was a revelation. This was reported by the girls' mom Meena Harris, who is Kamala's niece and a lawyer, activist, and lovely social media influencer, with whom our Vice President-elect shares an October 20 birthday. I love that I am looking forward to news of our new first and second families that won't make me want to stab something. Better days are on the way. 






16 comments:

  1. I can't even be bothered leaving snide comments on trumps facebook page anymore. He is so last week:) Literally!

    I was wondering who the little girls were, they're so cute. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vice President Great Aunt Kamala! An inspiration for so many people, young and old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those fierce amazing girls realizing and yes I yelled the same thing about Black girls because it was the first time of my life I had even seen a glimpse of the possibility. I a in such joy if it right now and I won’t back down from it.

    Big Love,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so completely thrilled with the election of Vice President Harris. And as George Takei tweeted: " The Trump campaign thinks it can Hunter Biden its way into court with evidence based on innuendo, hearsay, and sheer fabrication. Sad! They are rudderless and stuck in neutral in a landscape company parking lot, as someone said, “somewhere between a cock and a charred place.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos are so sweet and full of joy! Kamala Harris is going to be a wonderful vice-president; her strengths will complement Biden's very well, and dare we hope she will run for the top job in 2024? ... Biden has already said he would run for one term only ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even say how much I love these photos. And I think you are exactly right about Biden being the right man for right now. It's all such a relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One term Joe, Kamala may become president, Stacy Abrams as vp. oh yes, let's move forward. "Black women are the back bone of this nation"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I happened upon Joe Biden talking live a couple of days ago about why people should wear masks. So calm ,and such sensible points he was making!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you. It will be so great to hear news about the first families that won't make me want to cringe.

    Dave and I are convinced that Giuliani has lost his marbles. He was never my favorite person but it's hard to believe the guy outside the sex shop is the same person who was mayor 20 years ago. (Although he had his fringe moments then too -- remember his fury about Chris Ofili's painting of the Virgin Mary?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this this, those pictures. yes, they do not deserve one more iota of our psychic energy. I figure if Joe Biden isn't worried, and he's not, then neither am I. let them flail in the dark.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those beautiful girls! Thank you for these pictures of Hope. I’ve been fighting the all too familiar sense of dread at what the republicans are doing. I fear I’m witnessing the decay of democracy. Joe Biden is the perfect man for the moment, however I’ll be afraid until he takes the oath and all this gaslighting bullshit is behind us.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful photos. Yes! We are in a moment of such awakening and change. We're going to slog through hell to get there, but we're well on our way to the light.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are correct - it is so much better to focus on the positive, happy outcomes of this election. Seeing the joy in these photos of Kamala's family is just the thing we need to keep our spirits lifted. So many possibilities!
    Biden/Harris have experience and know what they are doing! Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful families. Our new President and VP bring a much welcomed calm and stability. Better times to come.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right and these photos lighten my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The little girls are just precious. Love the boots and their striking a pose. They give me hope.

    ReplyDelete