Friday, December 10, 2021

To be brave

 

"My son rolls up to a scene like this and doesn't bat an eye," my husband said, coming across this post about a four-alarm fire in Brooklyn this morning. He handed me his phone so I could see the video of the licking flames, swipe through the pictures, and read what the fire chief had shared. Extreme conditions. Firefighters trapped inside, quickly rescued. Four non-life-threatening injuries. Civilians safe. I handed back the phone and the man and I just sat, looking at each other, the two of us silent for a long time. I think we were both praying.  

May they all be safe always.


11 comments:

  1. Wow. I'm sure that a lot of firefighters' parents pray frequently and deeply and sincerely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often say a prayer when I hear sirens. I shall pray more for both the victims and the first responders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son is a brave man. Not just brave but decent, willing to risk himself to help others. Must be scary for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brave parents. Brave sons. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please thank your son for his brave service!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow. That is quite a fire. Yes indeed, bravery all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. May they always be safe.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes. The perfect prayer. I can' think of anything more nerve wracking than knowing your child is doing something dangerous. mine is not safe either. The saving grace is knowing that they are competent and well aware. And not children, except in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete