Monday, February 14, 2022

Be my Valentine

There's our perfect little year-round Christmas tree, which I didn't even know was there until they cut down the much larger Honey Locust tree that used to be fill our window. I cannot look out at that little tree without imagining lights encircling it and a gold star on top, and that was even more true this weekend in the snow. Two friends came over to watch the Super Bowl with us. None of us tested beforehand, as no one was exhibiting any symptoms, and we didn't wear masks in the apartment. I think this is where we are now in the age of Covid. Our friends, who have been in and out of our home for three decades, were oohing and aahhing over my mom's coffee table as if it they'd never seen it before. "That table has been sitting right there since we moved into this apartment twenty years ago," I told them. They could hardly believe they'd never really noticed how beautiful it is, which I take to mean that its recent restoration was an unqualified success.

I hear it's Valentine's Day.  This was my excuse for giving my man a triple-tier box of artisan chocolates, in which each piece looks like a tiny exquisite work of art, with flavors like five spice praline, blueberry lime, pineapple fennel caramel, guava tamarind, and passion fruit. It came in a gold mesh drawstring pouch with a golden ribbon securing the top, and I was entirely seduced by the outer packaging, as well as by how pretty and unique each crafted piece was. I guess I'll wait till tomorrow to once again cut out sugar, much like the smoker who declared, "I know how to quit. I've done it a hundred times before." Happy Monday, dear friends. Let's all be each other's Valentines.


11 comments:

  1. Yes, Let us all be each other's Valentine and spread love whereever we go in the world! Happy Valentine's Day!
    Those chocolates are indeed exquisite. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sweet little tree in the snow. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Valentine's Day to you and your love. Enjoy the chocolates and that very beautiful little snow-covered tree... and all the love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! We are all each other’s valentines. Those chocolates are exquisite! Tiny works of art.
    Much love to you.
    Xoxo
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. How beautiful both the tree and the chocolates are!
    I got my man an ice cream maker that Lis says is the very best thing in their kitchen. This may not have been a great idea but...
    Happy Valentine's Day, sweet lady, sister, friend. I do love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy V-day! Your chocolates look like perfect jewels. They are the most beautiful chocolates I've ever seen. The flavors sound really good too. That's a perfect new tree outside your window and it will be lovely with lights and a star. How wonderful that your friends were in awe over the coffee table. Happy day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HVD to you! That is an adorable little tree out there. It's perfect. The box of candies are lovely, I'm also a fan of beautiful packaging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen those chocolates and drooled over them. Now I just might have to buy some. And I'd love to see some more pictures of that table, close-ups of the detail work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are amazing chocolates! They really ARE like artworks, or even colorful jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That tree is cute.

    Those chocolates look beautiful. My parter was away on Valentines day, so we'll celebrate later.

    ReplyDelete