Sunday, February 20, 2022

One of the brave

My son's fiancée sent me these photos of my boy. The fire department takes these portraits annually and posts them inside the member's home firehouse. The first was taken in 2019, when our son was a proby, newly assigned to his engine company. The second was taken last year, during his rotation with a ladder company. One of the things I learned when he became a firefighter, is that engine companies handle the water hoses and ladder companies scale high ladders to climb onto rooftops or clamber through windows to go inside the fire, performing search and rescue. No surprise, my son is more drawn to the work of ladder houses, despite the fact that his mother and his fiancée would much rather think of him pointing the stream of water from outside.

My son's love and I marveled at how innocent he looks in the first photo, and how much more world weary he appears two short years later. Maybe he was fresh to a new shift in the first photo, and was coming off an all nighter with lots of calls in the second, parched and sleep-deprived, and definitely a bit more grizzled. And yet, even in the second image, his eyes say he's where he wants to be, safeguarding life and property as one of New York's Bravest. May he always remain so certain of his calling, and may he and his fellow firefighters be safe always.

 

11 comments:

  1. He has grown physically, emotionally and spiritually. And in both photos, I sense a man who loves and is loved. I see your eyes and your husband's eyes and all the ancestors shining through the eyes with which he sees the world. He is blessed, and he blesses others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is clear from that photo that you and your husband have raised a wonderful young man. You both should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see both tiredness and contentment in that second photo. He is so where he wants to be, doing the hard work we all appreciate and are so utterly grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He does look like he's seen a lot already. Do they have counselling services readily available to deal with traumas?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. How we wish we could protect and help our beloveds who see and experience too much. We can only do the best we can.
    Your son is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He puts his heart and soul in to his chosen work and for this I thank him from the bottom of my heart. You must be very proud of your son. He's an angel among us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is one good looking man. Dare I say beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be very, very proud. Brave and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had the same thought when I saw the second phot. His eyes tell a story that he is where he wants to be.
    I pray that he and his Brave firefighters always be safe. They are most definitely one of the Brave.

    ReplyDelete