Friday, October 7, 2022

A Friday ramble


So many things in the news catch my attention and then swirl on through before I have a chance to record them here. Life comes at you fast. Yesterday for example, President Joe Biden commuted the sentences of everyone who had been jailed for marijauna use, long overdue in my opinion, given how variable those sentences were depending on race and socio-economic standing, and the fact that cannabis is now legal in much of the country. I still won't smoke any myself, because back when I did, I loved it too much, and I'm addictive by nature, so I will remain abstinent. I will also pray that those who do choose to use have a lovely heart-opening experience, and aren't nudged over the edge into some mental health crisis, as two boys I know were, though who knows it if was the pot that did it; they might have been slipping into crisis anyway and were trying to self-medicate. 

My children now know my whole addiction and 12-step getting sober story. "Why didn't you ever tell us when we were growing up?" they wanted to know. 

"Because if I had told you I was an addict, while telling you not to use drugs, you would have said, well you turned out fine, so what's the harm?" 

"Or, it might have convinced us that you knew what you were talking about," my son countered.

"Plus we have that family propensity to become addicted to substances," I reminded him, which I guess was a sort of non-sequitur. 

Fortunately for my catastrophic thinking brain, my son doesn't do any substances since, as a firefighter, he is subject to random drug tests, and my daughter doesn't enjoy how pot makes her feel. Yes, they both admitted to me that they had dabbled back in high school, when I thought they were both virtuously resisting peer pressure. Silly me. The things children admit to their parents once everyone is grown will make you give thanks that their guardian angels saw fit to work lots of overtime. Our boy has more stories than our girl, as our daughter as a teen tended to blurt out everything, while her brother rolled his eyes and said, "Why on earth are you telling them that?"

Well, that was a stream of consciousness post. I certainly never intended to write here this morning about my actively addicted twenties, but there you go. 

My daughter just sent me that picture of sweet pup Munch on their early walk in Halloween-ready Brooklyn. My girl and her love were both in bed sick this week; probably their bodies were exhausted after their whirlwind of attending four weddings in different cities in the span of a single month. They didn't know if they’d caught covid again, but they were too sick to go out and get tests. Finally yesterday they bought some at-home kits, and both of them tested negative. So I suppose they had the flu. Both are almost back to fighting form and feeling better for their week of enforced rest.

In other news, we're about to embark on a bathroom refresh. To the great relief of my husband, I’ve moved on from the idea of ocean blue hex tile floors (as in the picture) with a wavy white wall tile. It's a tiny bathroom, so maybe that would be just too much decor for the space.  I suppose simple is better, or at least safer. I can always bring in the sea blues through towels and a well-chosen shower curtain. As I've often noted, you can take the girl out of the Caribbean but you can’t take the Caribbean out of the girl.


 


12 comments:

  1. Children do not have the experience of understanding things like trying drugs, smoking weed or abortion- It is not something they need to know from a parent. Later, I say, much later, when life has served up some reality. Your children are exceptional, but I need not tell you that!
    Lovely bathroom, peaceful and bright- a meditation room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a brief time in my mid to late teens in the 1960s smoking pot and hash. Then, I stopped liking that kind of high and simply stopped smoking. I was never drawn to hallucinogenics. I often wonder about young people these days and what they might experience on the kind of drugs that are available. Your children are smart and aware.
    Blue is such a wonderful color. I'm looking forward to your refresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me not to overly reexamine some of the choices I made while parent teens. For some reason, I have a tendency to do that now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How I love the colours in that bathroom. I would also love to see how yours turns out. I am in the process of adding a shower to the half-bath on the main floor so I can keep living in this house into my dodderment. It will not be as beautiful as the picture above, but it, too, is tiny and would not take the tiles shown. Oh well, a new paint job might work wonders. I was afraid to try drugs in my youth because I know I have addictive tendencies too. I did over-use alcohol (also a drug, I realize, but, y'know, legal) while at university and for a short time beyond, but the hangovers were enough to cure me of that. I don't do well with nausea :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet to see Munch being photographed by your daughter as Halloween approaches in Brooklyn.

    That was good news about President Biden's commuting of sentences. Every once in a while I realize with a shiver that I could have been one of those who were jailed for marijuana use back in the early 1970s. Although I never felt high in the way other people described, I did use with friends who experienced euphoria with marijuana and continued to smoke for years. Rather than being a pleasurable experience, marijuana brought on paranoia and bizarre hallucinations for me, and I can think of several close calls where my friends and I could have been among those thousands who have been arrested over the years. The fear of being arrested ran deep in me.

    Wonderful to have the blue of the ocean in our lives in one way or the other and in our memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a fan of weed. It makes me feel like I'm dying, with the driest mouth ever.

    My daughter and I had a heart to heart talk in August and I found out a few surprising things about her. She knows I'm a nerd.

    Love that blue floor, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those blue tiles...a fabulous colour! Are you sure that your man can't be persuaded?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked at those white wavy tiles when I was redoing both our bathrooms but in the end didn't use them. The floor in the picture doesn't appeal to me, maybe it's the large hex tiles and not the color.

    I've smoked pot since I was 17 (I'm 72 now). There have been spans of years when I didn't for various reasons, now only at end of day when all activity is done and only just a very little bit as it is far more potent now than when I was a teen though sometimes when I'm working on a piece and I can't settle into it, I'll smoke a little to help me focus. I don't know anyone who definitely spiraled down because of smoking pot. If they became lazy do nothings I think it was their nature to be that way anyway (not trying to discredit your experience).

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had my pot smoking over with in my freshman year of college. It made my mouth so dry and my hands and feet so cold, it just wasn't fun. I am glad that Biden has freed the prisoners, lighting up does not deserve that kind of punishment. I do wonder if it will affect the bottom line in the for profit prison industry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To this day, the smell of weed turns my stomach. I keep my distance from it. Life of the party...I am not. Love your new bathroom ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bathroom and good for you getting sober.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I WISH I enjoyed smoking weed. It seems like such a benevolent mind-alterer.
    As to children telling you things they did back when...I have stopped a few of mine and said, "Look. You lived. That's all I need to know." And in my heart, I still wonder if any of them has done anything worse or more dangerous than some of the things I did when I was very young. Lord, I hope not.
    Let's hear it for Biden! He is a very decent soul, I think.
    And I think those tiles would be beautiful in any bathroom.

    ReplyDelete