Friday, October 14, 2022

City life

"Whatever you may think of me. However bleak be the outlook/give me a page/carve lines for my rage/fuck your sage/genuflecting in that cage you think I can't escape from/pass me two metaphors/an alliterative phrase/three verbs/a well-placed noun, or two, is all I need to craft a tale of epic proportions/throw me an arc/a plot/a slot to present it/to someone/anyone, then watch me write the story of a girl who simply refuses to die."

I ran across those words by Jamaican LGBTQ poet Staceyann Chin, and they climbed right inside me and made me stop and read them again and again. So I'm putting them here, so I can find them whenever I need to remember that I can carve lines for my rage and write my way out of any cage, too.

I was out of my house a lot this week, as I've joined a Tai Chi class that meets on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons, as well as a choir in the neighborhood that meets from 1:30 to 3PM on Wednesdays. My neighbor and friend Lisa is in that choral group with me, and we look forward to singing our hearts out every week, and catching up on our lives while traveling to and from rehearsals together.


That's the church sanctuary where our choir meets. I was fascinated watching a plasterer working from the scaffolds erected in front of the lofted stained glass windows while we serenaded his labor. We sing in masks, and it seemed very strange at first trying to get to know a new group of people whose lower faces I couldn't see, but somehow, in this new reality we inhabit, we are all starting to play nice with one another, exchanging names and stories, and revealing faces after practice once we're back outside on the New York City streets, laughing and waving as we take our leave, singing scraps of songs. 


I also traveled to lower Manhattan on the hunt for bathroom tiling options with my friend Jane on Thursday morning. We went to the Tilebar NYC showroom, which has been called the Apple Store of tiling places. It is indeed very shiny and spacious inside and the tiles are beautifully displayed. Jane and I wondered if they'd be too snooty and highfalutin' for the likes of us, but the sales people were lovely, and I do think I've settled on the wall and floor tile options for the front bathroom in our apartment. Our bathrooms are both quite small, and I have fairly simple tastes, so I'm going with a 2 x 12" white subway tile that has a slight relief on the surface, just enough to catch the light in interesting ways but not so much as to be a distinct pattern, something like in the picture below. 

I had also flirted with a Mediterranean or Moroccan style patterned tile for the floor, but my man hated it, and since I love him, I am going with a 4" white hexagon tile that is very slightly marbled with gray, the softest watercolor brush strokes rather than hard distinct lines, again just enough to add interest, so I hope. In this endeavor, I am holding on to what my friend Lisa said to me when I was losing my mind over whether I was making the right design decisions during the kitchen reno. "It's just a kitchen," she said. So my mantra now is, "It's just a bathroom." One that will soon be sparkling clean and new, no matter the tiling options. I'm eventually going to refresh the second bathroom, too. In that one we will swap out the tub to create a walk in shower (my whole body arthritis isn't getting any better), and I plan to use the same long subway tiles on the walls, but for the floor I might go with white penny round tiles as they seem to give a very classic and airy feel in the pictures I've seen. But I'm taking it one day, one set of decisions, at a time. 

Work wise I am at loose ends, but for the magazine editing gig, for which stories come through intermittently. I turned down an interesting book project because I am waiting and having faith that the book I really want to do will come my way, though this may not happen until the New Year. Nothing is certain, but if that book for which I wrote the proposal is indeed mine to do, then I don't want to be tied up with something else and unable to accept the job. So I'm doing a lot of jigsaw puzzles these days, going to Tai Chi classes, singing in a choir, binge watching Bad Sisters and 1883, and hunting for the exact right tiles that will please both my husband and me. This, I think, is what some might call a gentle life, and I'm grateful to be living it. Still, I want to do something useful for more than my own little self. The truth? I don't really know who I am or what my purpose is when I'm not busy working. 


14 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are living your life beautifully and purposefully, too. You are moving, singing, making your home cozier, more workable, and shinier. Is this not all the stuff of which life is made?
    (I do wish your man had been more able to see your vision with the more colorful tiles but...yes. I understand.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always at loose ends whenever I finish a project that has had my full attention for months. Eventually I settle in to different activities. I've always wanted to do Tai Chi but no possibility of a class in this small red town. I could watch videos which I have once or twice but just not the same. I do enjoy my volunteer day at SHARE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More than half my lifetime ago, my dream was to live in New York. I don't think I would have made it, other than a visit, but I love your pictures and posts about it.
    I like the white tiles, a white bathroom is really very pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love the mural and the photo of the Chelsea. new York City has escaped me this time around and I have so wanted to live there, at least for a long enough time to become wise. Also love that you are doing Tai chi and singing- both I have done and was so much better for it!
    Your bathroom may not be a statement, safe tiles- compromise is everything.
    The beginning poetry is splendid and sits right here in my chest- whatever you may think of me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The nice thing about white is that it goes with everything. And there's nothing wrong with giving yourself time to relax, do something that you want for a change and slowing down a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would hug the Hotel Chelsea if I could! What an amazing face. Like an older woman in full makeup, with a new hair-do, a scarlet dress, and all barefoot with elegance. And long, dangly filigree earrings! Such an amazing photograph.

    You're in a great space mentally, physically and spiritually. Thanks for talking to me--sharing and making me think outside my box of a room here in Texas. .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad that you posted the poetry so I can come back to your page and read it when I need it too. Sounds like your keeping busy in a great way. Enjoy all your activities and remodeling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the subway tile, the slight waviness makes it interesting. I'm glad you're taking some time off, you've been writing away for a long time. It's good to come up for air. Here's fingers crossed for the book you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same wavy white subway tile in my kitchen, it bounces the light around and really brightens the room. I'm sure you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is nice that you are filling your time with things you love that lift up your spirits. I have just begun volunteering with a lovely group of women who make flower arrangements to sell and support our local historical museum village. I am learning a new skill while socializing with new friends. I needed that after the solitude caused by Covid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That hotel and mural are both pleasing to the eye, as is that tile. And your poem got me thinking...Enjoy what you can. You are enough.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that mural, and the subway tile looks great! I think many of us define ourselves by our careers, for better or worse. Enjoy your brief period of down time before that next book comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you'll let it go -- the reluctance or the need to "have a purpose" or any of those things. Such a beautiful meandering post, and always your writing -- so sharp and pointed and lyrical all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tara: I hope you get the project you really want. How could you not? I agree with Elizabeth: when I first retired I felt I had no purpose. Then, that anxiety faded away. My purpose is whatever I want it to be. Sometimes it's nothing at all. In the meantime, it sounds as if you are engaging in fun projects -- always a plus!

    ReplyDelete